Tomatoes!

The tomatoes are coming! The tomatoes are coming!

Just got a call from someone who coordinates our CSA box to warn us that tomorrow we have two bushels of tomatoes arriving. Last year I got the skins off and froze masses of tomatoes, but this year we're already running low on freezer space. I've got the jars and the lids and the canner out of the basement, but the question is will I have to fortitude to attempt to can these tomatoes? While we're in the midst of repainting our kitchen?? I've heard that it's easy. I haven't canned since three summers ago when I went feverish in the kitchen with pickles and pickle relish in the 48 hours before giving birth to F, who was fifteen days early. It wasn't an experience I enjoyed hugely. The chopping, the boiling water, the steam, the heat, the work.

But I'm bouyed by my friend Nina's report that she canned 7 quarts of peaches with children underfoot in about two hours.

I will report back ...

Labels: , ,