Covetous

I'm beginning to suspect that having babies has become a cool enterprise. Seven years ago, when A was an infant, there wasn't all of this positively delectable (and useful) baby gear. Now I feel covetous, though it seems impractical to invest in a Swedish-built gorgeous high chair that converts to an ergonomic chair as the child grows (oh, but doesn't that sound practical? baby CJ could use it till he leaves home). Not cheap, I must add. The baby carriers, the slings, the wooden toys, the darling leather bibs (okay, I just got that one, today, in fact; it attaches around the baby's neck with magnets, can be wiped after every use, and hangs on the fridge between meals).

I know a lot of it seems excessive. Babies outgrow things quickly, and don't care whether they're chewing on a fabulous handmade sock puppet or a dog toy from Zellers; but in all of this excess, I sense a growing movement away from disposable and cheap and breakable, to the well-designed and durable--not to mention tactilely and visually appealing. Today's selection in cloth diapers and accessories seems indicative of the fringe becoming mainstream, in a good way.

Which is how I'm justifying my covetousness ... see, this stuff will really last! (Note to self: that justification only makes sense if one actually needs said "stuff" in the first place. Sigh. Thanks for the reminder, self).

Okay, F just ate one and a half pita pizzas for lunch and baby CJ tucked gratefully into his bowl of rice cereal, and we're heading toward puzzle time and naptime. Baby's not sleeping much at night (without simultaneously nursing), and I'm wondering how long it will be till we make a big change in our sleeping arrangements. Could be awhile yet. I'm surviving quite handily on cups of coffee and long moments of staring idly at things, and still seem to have the requisite amount of parenting patience; and it usually takes a drastic downturn to push me to make a big transition like this would require.

Labels: ,