Running Away from Home

Thanks for the laundry ideas. With a couple of rainy days this week, I hung clothes indoors, and though not right in the kids' rooms, I put the clothes whose destination was upstairs on a rack in the hallway upstairs, and diapers and downstairs items down. Handy. The sorting takes place while the laundry's still damp. Need a better laundry rack (or two) as I'm currently using backs of chairs, radiators, and railings in addition to this bulky, flying-machine-design wobbly metal rack upstairs ... but Ikea doesn't encourage online shopping, apparently, at least not for drying devices. They do have a couple of cool ones, for example, one that folds out from the wall, then back in again when not in use. But we'd have to get to Burlington or Vaughn or North York. Or I could just pick up another cheap wooden one like I have and enjoy downstairs. Canadian Tire special, if I'm remembering correctly.

Ah, laundry.

At the library storytime this morning at the WPL. The place was a zoo. Toddlers everywhere. The librarian is doing a good job, seems to like children (this has been a problem with WPL children's librarians in the past--you'd think they'd have to like children, but apparently it's not a job requirement). There are fun songs and activities in addition to stories, and F is entranced. Even baby CJ was pretty enthralled, though perhaps as much by the sight of toddlers stealing other toddlers' stuffed animals and trodding upon each other. You can tell which I was paying more attention to. Storytime isn't really for the moms. I can put in a few more years. It's good people-watching, in any case. I like seeing the mothers trying to match up who belongs to whom--the accusing glances--is that your kid wreaking havoc and disaster while you browse the stacks? My kids were angelic, so I could feel all superior and successful--temporarily, of course. Parenting has a way of keeping one humble. See below.

Went for a run yesterday after supper. So so so good for the soul. I'd had a pretty magnificent meltdown mere hours before (see above re staying humble) when I'd tried to lie down on the couch before supper and was instantly swarmed and fought over by my children, which I tolerated for about fifteen minutes before essentially losing my mind, hopping off the couch, and literally running out the front door. On my way out, I accused Kevin of something (he was there--I didn't leave them alone in the house), can't quite recall what. Terrific. Fabulosity. As I stormed out the front door wearing crocs and socks, I realized our neighbours were on their front porch across the street, so I tried to look as though I weren't muttering to myself--as though I weren't Running Away. Walked with fake calm to the back of the house and stood in the yard for about two minutes. I felt like my children were saying--legitimately--"You don't give us enough!" And I wondered--maybe I really don't. I'm out in the kitchen baking for school lunches, cooking supper, washing dishes, and no, not being with them at all. You know, just being, being with them. 

Worse, the guilt. Because all I really wanted was to NOT BE with anyone, children included, and NOT DO anything. Two minutes elapsed, I returned inside, still upset, now angry with myself, still tired, with all the afternoon chores still waiting to be done. So I listened to Stephane Dion take phone-in calls on Rex Murphy's program, while Kevin ferried the children to the basement to paint. (Vote for Stephane!). Supper got made, school lunches too, supper got eaten, then Kevin said, "Why not go out for a walk?" So I threw on my running shoes and went for a run instead. Thought I'd be too tired to enjoy it, but my body didn't feel tired at all. It felt like it had been needing to run all week. It felt euphoric. I might try it again tonight after supper. Besides, when I returned home, Kevin had done the dishes, AB and baby CJ were in the bath, and A was washing F's hair in the shower! Yes, they seemed to survive quite nicely without me. Let that be a lesson to me.

But I must sign off on that note. Because baby CJ is up from his nap and F has been entertaining him in his crib for quite long enough.

Labels: ,