Writing Morning

It's writing morning, and the blog doesn't count. But maybe it will warm up these fingers. It's chilly out there.

This (Canadian) election marks a change for me. This time around I'm declaring support for Stephane Dion and have even, gasp, put up a red Liberal sign in our front yard. It's not a very big sign, but still. Every time I see it I feel so conventional, so Big Party. I'm thinking of putting up a Green sign just to balance it out. Unfortunately for Stephane Dion and Elizabeth May, my vote is a pretty accurate bellwether for political popularity; or unpopularity, as it were. (My apologies to Barack Obama, who will also be receiving the Carrie-vote-of-doom in November). I've voted dutifully--nay, passionately!--in every federal, provincial, and municipal election since turning eighteen, and in two American elections (once I realized I was eligible), and have voted for ONE winner. In Toronto. About a decade ago. That was thrilling, but it was clearly the exception proving the rule. Which is that my political instincts do not swing toward the majority.

So best of luck Green Shift. (A name way too open to mockery. I'm for it, and can't help seeing the pejorative alternatives ...).

Democracy isn't all about winning, right? Still, seems it should be about proportionality, or at minimum one vote worth one vote worth one vote.

Writing day, writing day ... right.

Labels: ,