The Flu

This Blog has the flu. Even though it got its flu shot. Apparently, the strain making the rounds wasn't included in the mix. Don't worry about me, however. I am fine. Touch wood and send skyward a hearty prayer.

My children, on the other hand; sigh. One has very nearly recovered the pink of health, and the other, suffering pallidly, is clad in green pajamas, a fuzzy hat with earflaps, and a giant blue blanket. Those affected are school-aged; the other two have thus far escaped. (Touch wood; pray). This morning, things are looking up: the kids are playing together--all four! And I am sneakily watching ... as it all falls apart. Hmm. Excuse me, dear Blog, you'll have to fend for yourself momentarily. Drink your tea.

I'm back. The lull has returned to the living-room. Children quietly reading books and baby happily knocking books off the shelf (his favourite upright occupation).

Last night I went out to shovel snow. That was actually a mental health necessity. I'd been indoors since Sunday; though Sunday we all dragged our post-Robbie Burns selves down to the theatre and while Kevin did clean-up, I played the grand piano on stage, and the kids danced. There are photos on the blog opposite.

My local food round-up evaporated when the Blog lost its appetite. But now that the Blog is cranky and hungry for toast (sure signs of improved health), I can tell you that we're working with a Vegetarian theme this week. Which means the food is only somewhat local. I made a nice big red sauce from the freezer tomatoes and we've had pasta, we've had baked mac & cheese, we've had chili. The kids have been drinking the homemade grape juice as a special treat during illness. Tonight we're planning corn bread and honey-baked lentils. And, as our stores dwindle, I am feeling excited about Nina's buying club starting up again in the spring. Whoo-hoo!!! And an extra whoo-hoo just for the very thought of spring!!!

Labels: , ,