Sleeping Babes, Three

Well, that was short-lived. CJ spent at least half the night in our bed. I'm not sure whether this was because I was too tired to move him out, or because everytime I did move him out he seemed to reappear again. I went to bed at the same time he did last night. 9:30. I'm pretty sure Apple-Apple was still awake (she has these torturous prolonged bedtimes, seemingly endless cries for water bottle or kleenex or jammies are too itchy or she's too hot or too cold or she just can't fall asleep.) Lucky for us all, once asleep she's as sound as they come.

In any case, I was grouchy. Bed seemed the best option. The serenity following our holiday, which I'd optimistically planned to keep, uh, forever, has dissipated ever so fractionally amidst the hairiness of schedule, of having to be somewhere at a particular time. Mostly, it's dragging children to events in which they have no stake that's hardest. Fooey and CJ bundled up and tossed in the stroller to take the big kids to school. I'd complain too. CJ woken out of a nap and dragged along to Fooey's music class, where for entertainment he has his mother, a banana, and an empty hallway. Et cetera. No matter how organized, how much time I've left, there comes a moment when I'm shouting, "Put on your snowpants, now!" and then regretting it instantly (Fooey hates shouting). Or worse, "We're leaving without you!" Never true, and rarely motivating, as the kid has no interest in coming anyway. But I've been doing some deep breathing and back-tracking and attempting to focus on the larger picture: does it matter if we're five minutes late for Fooey's music class? Or for anything? I don't want to become cavalier about responsibility, just realize that rushing accomplishes little except to put everyone in a lousy mood.

It's interesting how my mood really affects the mood of the household.

It's also interesting, if unrelated, that our family ate an entire loaf of homemade bread for breakfast yesterday morning--and CJ and I ate oatmeal instead. That's slightly alarming when contemplating future appetites, and my own plans to bake all of our bread from scratch. Because I'd gone to bed early last night, I woke up early and started a fresh batch of bread. My life revolves around food.

So far, so good, in the eating out of our stores experiment. I'm planning to do a regular Sunday update and round-up on food.

Labels: , ,