tired, so tired

There are a bunch of good pics on my camera which I haven't downloaded because they include a couple that aren't so good--of some baby animals the kids found in the woodpile that looked a whole lot like newborn rats. I'm too squeamish to look at them.

So today's post will be unillustrated. Next time.

I'm deep in the throes of sleep deprivation, and it feels so prolonged, so never-ending, that I'm feeling semi-defeated by it. Last night, I was cleaning up puke (another story, not so long; it wasn't mine, it was a child's), off and on till 1am, every hour or so till the source was declared completely empty, when finally I slept. Then was woken every hour till sometime after 3 when I managed to string two full hours of sleep together, then it was back to the broken stuff--in and out of bed, answering multiple calls. I'm a firm believer that to feel really well-rested, you need three consecutive uninterrupted hours of sleep. This has become so rare as to feel like a meaningless prescriptive. CJ still nurses twice a night, or more, and Fooey is often up once to use the bathroom, and last night ... well, when the puking started I really thought I might suffer a nervous breakdown. This is the fourth time since December that someone (usually a solid family majority) has gotten "the barfing thing." Look, I know that life with six people in one house is complicated. I accept this. Life generally is complicated. Bodies are vulnerable and imperfect. I get all of that. But I feel suddenly sapped of my ability to appreciate the fun. There is fun, right? Everything feels so damn serious. I'd like to appreciate, for example, getting dressed up and dancing. I'd like to rest, to let my mind slow down, to read a book all the way through, to stand still in the sunshine, to sit down.

To go and whine no more.

Labels: ,