Joys of Obligation

Thought of the day: obligation and responsibility make us who we are, and by living up to these, we are molded and changed by the things we choose to do. This may explain why children respond so well to routines and (small) responsibilities. Kevin and I held an impromptu, late-night parenting meeting on the weekend--initiated by Kevin, which I appreciated--and we made a master list of all the things we'd like our children to do. Such as: practice piano, set the table, clear their plates after supper, use manners, better behavior in the car, help tidy the house, clean their rooms once a week, brush teeth, wash hands. Very simple, basic stuff. The table setting routine was easily put into play: a simple rotation, one child each evening in charge of helping mama. I remind them in advance that it's their evening, and so far the response has been cheerful. Fooey is especially pleased to be my helper. We've also returned to holding hands and singing a prayer before we begin serving food, as a way of pulling all of us together. And this is a very basic parenting tip, but just reminding the kids of the plan, well in advance, and repeatedly, makes everyone more open to it. Nobody likes to be told, cold, while in the middle of building a gigantic Lego ship, get your boots on we're leaving Right Now! Much better to call out a five-minute warning ... even if it means you'll be five minutes late.
Anyway.
No photos, because I'm upstairs.
Obligation also works for grownups, too, I think. I'm terrified by the concept of retirement. Sometimes I wonder why I'm so driven, why I layer my life with extra reponsibilities away and beyond what is already required of me, and wonder what exactly I'm hoping to achieve, or even what achievement means to me, and worry I'm hiding from something inside myself--hiding by working so hard and being so busy. Um, that sentence was way too long. But conceptually, it encapsulates the inner trackings of my brain, when I get a spare moment to think Too Damn Much. Which perhaps is why I appreciate being busy, being active, doing rather than thinking. I question less, when I'm doing.
Life isn't all about action, of course. It needs to be about contemplation, too. And even about rest. And occasionally, leisure. I'm always trying to make use of everything, every scrap of experience. I want it to be useful, somehow ... educational, or fulfilling, or meaningful, or something that brings pleasure. I hope this makes me more open to experiences; but maybe it just makes me more introspective. Like, alright already, just enjoy the moment, Obscure Canlit Mama, don't try to make it into something else!
Part of growing up has been accepting, with humour, who I am. Even while trying to alter in many minute ways, and hopefully for the better, my public and private self.
Listen, as penance for this blah-g entry, my next is going to be brief, maybe even glib, and accompanied by cute photos of my offspring.

Labels: , ,