Monday

Had three minutes of perfection this afternoon: the kids were all playing (mostly outside), the laundry was off the line and folded, the soup was simmering on the stove, and I picked up the front section of today's paper and read for a few minutes on the back porch. Three minutes. Not bad.
:::
After supper, the kids styled each others' hair. I especially enjoyed CJ's wings, as frothed-up by AppleApple (he, in turn, brushed her hair so that it covered her face), and my heart was touched by Albus fussing with Fooey's hair: "It looks better when it goes like this," [fuss, fuss, fuss]. "Don't worry," I told Fooey, who said she didn't like how it scratched her cheeks, "hairdressers always like styling your hair all crazy, and then you can just go home and stick it back behind your ears like usual." "Okay, I'm home now!"
:::
CJ is just at such a stage. It's so emphatic. There's no mistaking it. He has certain postures, this slump of the shoulders he does when his feelings are hurt, which might just turn into a whirling blithering rage as he stamps across the floor, growling and whacking anything in his way. I enforced a time-out today for throwing. In the midst of his tantrums, he likes to grab any object handy and fling it. Let's see whether we can break him of that. On the potty front, we're having some luck with new training pants (thank you, kind lenders of new training pants!). He doesn't like being wet. The disposable pull-ups are worse than useless since they actually hold more than a cloth diaper. But the training pants don't hold much. "I want to pee on the pot," he declared all day, usually arriving to tell me this after the fact; but I appreciated the sentiment. I'm feeling no sense of urgency, and continue to feel encouraged by his progress. He's getting it, just at his own pace. This morning, his friend of the almost-identical-age was over, and the two of them had a blast in the backyard. They both found hockey sticks and soccer balls and set about playing "Hockeyball!" As they called it. "Hockeyball!" I kicked a soccer ball around, too, and every time I hoofed it into the net (which felt pretty awesome, I must say; stress release? that feeling of being a kid again?), CJ's friend would throw his hands into the air and shout: "Yay! We win!"
:::
It was a day of full-on mothering and calm. I can only manage these days because I know there's more going on later in the week (ie. some hours to work and to be alone); but because Monday is a unique day in a week of busyness and a variety, it's somehow easier to let myself relax and enjoy the calm, quiet, mothering-ness of it, without wishing I were doing something else, or feeling too bored. All I have to do is make supper, hang laundry, and hang out with small children (oh, and a few other chores along the way). So I get to do things like ... kick a soccer ball, meet Kevin and co. for a business lunch, walk to the pick up the kids from school, let CJ walk all the home, read the newspaper for three minutes in the sunshine, play guitar to the boys before bed, sing Fooey a lullaby while stroking her cheek and sensing her drift into sleep ...
Just another Monday. Praise be.

Labels: , , ,