Warm-Up

I wrote a scene yesterday. And more. I'm pleased. Since it seemed to warm up my typing/thinking self to blog yesterday, I'll start this writing morning the same way.
Yesterday afternoon, Kevin came home early with a movie for the kids, so we could watch the Germany-Spain game together; I turned down a beer, but then changed my mind. My plan was to go to yoga over the supper hour, and I didn't want to go with beer in my system. Or two, as it turned out (I was thirsty; and Germany lost). But after a restless indoor hot and sticky day, I discovered that despite the two-beer afternoon, I had the unbearable urge to exercise. So I went anyway. And here is my conclusion: beer is less toxic than coffee. It was a great class, and I suffered no ill effects. (Note: this is not a recommendation; nor do I plan to practice under the influence in future).
Today, I'm travelling back in time to the age of nineteen. I've got earplugs in. Having the big kids home all day definitely makes for more of a writing challenge; I'm debating right now whether I should intervene, as AppleApple and Albus are squabbling downstairs .... (Is it crazy to have air conditioning and not to use it? We have air conditioning. But I'm only turning it on at bedtime, to cool the upstairs rooms as the kids fall off to sleep. Is the heat contributing to the short tempers? Would we be happier with cool air falling upon our heads?).
In a week and a half, I'll be taking a writing week--something that Kevin and I haven't arranged for awhile. He looks after the kids, and I write non-stop, sometimes even through meals and past bedtime. That will be the sprint portion of the Juliet marathon. My goal for that week is to frame the three stories. It's the most labour-intensive work, writing a first draft; after that, the work continues, but it's being done on top of something--which I can build on or tear down or rearrange, which I find easier to cope with. I can rewrite and edit till the cows come home. That's my favourite part of writing: reshaping, restructuring. Or, wait. My mind just said, nu-uh, your favourite part is when you're writing something new and you find something you didn't even know you were looking for. True. I love stumbling over something much better than I could have planned on finding. But that takes greater effort, harder labour, deeper focus; and it's rarer. You can't just demand that it occur.
Today. I've got to shut out the noise of the grumpy kids and work my way back towards the beach, the ocean, and, maybe, a grand concert hall.

Labels: , ,