Not Here

Wish I were sleeping like that right now ...
Sunday. I don't get on the computer with the new Sunday day of rest plan. Or not quite so much. In any case, certainly not enough to blog. Yesterday, we went to my mom's church and I groused about being stuck in the nursery the entire time, though at least the service is piped in and CJ gets a kick out of the toys. That sums up my church-going experience for the past nine years. Everyone is very friendly and child-positive at the church, but, really, do you want your kids screaming at each other in the pew over a bag of crayons?

I also read at Word on the Street, and that was lovely. We didn't get home till about 3:30. Then it was time to do homework with Albus in the office. Give him a piece of gum, and he's good for an hour of hard work. I've been impressed by his dedication. It helped to offer computer time on the far end of the study session. Yesterday morning, he declared that this was "the worst day ever!" (He was especially peeved about having to go to my stupid "art" thing; though once there he was easily won over by all the free swag and treats). By yesterday evening, we heard him proclaiming it "the best day ever!" No kidding. Free candy, gum for study time, and computer play. We even practiced piano together. (Okay, that was fun for me, anyway).

Fooey cooked supper with Kevin, and she really stuck it out over the long haul. She chose from a Mexican cookbook, and the menu was completely her own. We dined on: roasted corn soup (with onions and red peppers, pureed); corn on the cob; potato/lima bean/cheese patties fried in oil (YUM!); lettuce salad with tropical fruit and lemon dressing; and for dessert, orange slices with cinnamon and chocolate sprinkles, and hot chocolate made with real chocolate. Not cooking on Sundays feels like a genuine rest for me.

And going to church changes the shape of the entire day, or perhaps more importantly changes my mental map of the day. It forces me not to plan or do much of anything. And if I were at home all morning, I would find plenty that needs doing and therefore need to do it.

Labels: , , ,