Breaking Plans

Yesterday, I did not go to my planned yoga class. Instead, I cooked a risotto that reminded me of an evening out last month, rich with reduced wine, garlic, butter, parmesan, and I stayed home over the supper hour and savoured the food with my family. In order to exercise more, I have to skip something: which ends up being supper, most often. And I miss supper with my family. When I'm home, more things happen. Good food is prepared. Homework gets completed. Musical instruments get practiced. Real talk is exchanged.

What is the mysterious balance? Everything I choose to do weighs against everything that therefore will not happen.

Yesterday afternoon,  on the most beautiful fall day imaginable, I took the little ones to the little park and we played. I must have pushed them on the platter swing for half an hour, singing songs, and reminiscing: in the blink of an eye, my babies have grown. Only a minute ago, I was pushing the older two in the same swing, singing the same songs. It was so peaceful, I did not want to rush home and make supper so that I could rush out the door to do something by myself. I wanted to let them lie on their backs and look at the rare cloud passing by, and be soothed. I wanted to sing. Impossible, when in a rush. Impossible, when hewing to a pre-arranged schedule.

Still, I love my schedule. I love to get out by myself.

But here's a toast to being flexible. To breaking plans. To changing my mind.

Labels: , , , , ,