Meltdown Prevention

Scheduling: it's a love/hate relationship. I am definitely of an organized mind, and enjoy figuring out how to make things fit together and become orderly and sensical. Which is apparently not a word, but it should be; as in, the opposite of nonsensical. Oh dear. Three sentences in and already off-track. Where was I? Loving to schedule ... but resenting having to do it in order to have a life; resenting the ongoing, neverending obligation to schedule. And coming around to acceptance, because that's a good place to come around to.

Monday morning, I went for a run, then spent the remaining two child-free hours of the day working out the week's schedule, which I hadn't had time to do on the weekend, with Kevin working, and just general exhaustion. I like to sketch out an idea for suppers every day of the week, preferably related to the veggies lurking in my fridge and cold cellar the existence of which I'm otherwise likely to forget. This also prevents the panic of not knowing what the heck to make for supper an hour before supper's due to be eaten by six hungry and opinionated people.

But I also schedule out absolutely everything else, coordinating with Kevin, most closely, and with a variety of other people (the parents of my kids' friends; music teachers; grandparents; friends; health practitioners; essentially, anyone else we're planning to see or want to spend time with during the week).

I think of myself as our family's call centre. Got a problem--emotional, practical, menial, existential? I'm the one you're going to call, the 9-1-1 operator. I'm also the first responder, the triage nurse, the doctor/psychiatrist/janitor/repair-person/garbage collector. And I do out-patient and follow-up work, too.

I've figured out that this means if I'm going to get time to myself, to recuperate, to prevent meltdown (ie. mine), I've got to schedule, in advance, off-call time, time alone.

Every day is broken into pockets of time, each with the potential to be used for something. I am often amazed at how much, and what a variety of activities, can fit. However, the advance plan doesn't always pan out. Sometimes my energy can't keep up with my appetite.

For example, on Tuesday, I'd maneuvered time off between after-school pickup and Kevin's late-night hockey, arranging for Kevin to do after-school care, serve supper, do dishes, and bedtime (yes, it's a lot!), so that I could go to a yoga class and then on to a reading: Annabel Lyon, Alyssa York, and Sandra Birdsell were all in town. But after a full day that included early rising, swim lessons (getting in the pool with CJ), friends over, baking, and cooking, I had just enough energy to drag myself to yoga. Having survived ninety sweaty minutes of exertion, I exited into a damp dark evening, hungry (because I'd gone over supper hour), bone-tired, and feeling chilled ... so I went home instead. I knew I'd be up very early the next morning to run with a friend. And there's only so much of me available for use.

So Tuesday night, post-kids'-bedtime, I went to bed with a pot of tea and watched reality tv on the internet. I won't even try to explain it. But it works for me. Sometimes better than anything else. (And, no, I hadn't scheduled it in, nor do I plan to. Some things are best left to impulse, as needed).

Labels: , , , ,