Sayings


I've been re-reading old blogs as I attempt to organize them into a format that is printable, and I'm wondering, fellow bloggers, do you do this, too? Do you keep your blog entries in hard-copy? Do you have a method for organizing old material? Or do you trust in the online world to hold your posts in perpetuity? In looking back over this blog, it feels like a public diary, like a scrapbook of our family's life, and I want to have it available to leaf through. There's nothing like paper. But then, I'm an old-school girl. I like my books as books.

Which is not to say that I don't like reading online, too.

In reading over the old entries, I was struck by how much this blog has changed. It used to be much more about the children, and it's shifted over time to be more about me. I'm not sure whether that's because as my children get older, I feel less inclined to invade their privacy by recording things that they may disagree with; or whether I've shifted in my own priorities away from the daily parenting. When I started the blog, CJ was four months old. Fooey wasn't even three. We grow. We change.

In the spirit of the older blogs, I have to record a few CJ sayings. He's just so articulate and lovely, my almost-three-year-old big boy. "I'm a big boy. I'm a little brother."

As I was putting on his socks this morning, he looked at me, and said, "I see you down there!" It was the down there part that pleased him especially. It made me realize how in his world, he mostly sees people up there.

He is usually the last one out of bed, and a few mornings ago we were treated to the sound of his door opening and closing, and his sturdy feet hopping down the stairs (yes, he hops from stair step to stair step), until he arrived on the landing where he stopped and, taking in his admiring audience in the kitchen below, he began to sing. He sang a full verse and chorus to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, but with made up words, his long blond hair fluffed around his head like a halo, wearing his red footie Christmas pajamas. Then he jumped into my arms. I asked, "Did you learn that song at nursery school?" and he said, "No. I just made it up in my bed!"

Labels: , , ,