On being competitive

*Cross-posted from my Swim/Bike/Run blog.*

This morning, I went for a long run. I planned to run 15km, and the idea of the long run is to go fairly slowly. But I found that I didn't want to go all that slowly. I felt so good! So I let myself run. I ran 15km in an hour and 20 minutes; not quite my half-marathon pace, but close. It is just the best feeling to be able to run and run and run. I decided to stay at my edge, where my breathing was very controlled and rhythmic, and to let myself stay at that pace as long as my breathing stayed sure. I find that in races, I'm running harder, and my breathing gets much heavier. I didn't want to run that hard.

Today, I thought about how far I've come on this journey. I don't always take time to appreciate it, because as soon as I've accomplished something, I'm pushing toward something else. I've decided to embrace that part of my personality. It's just who I am. It's how I write, too. I'm pleased with a story, and then give it some time and come back and discover that it could be improved, so I work even harder. The story may never be perfect, in my mind, but that doesn't mean I'm not proud of it. Somehow I've found the same pleasure and balance in my running/swimming/cycling. I love doing it. And I love doing it even when I'm pushing myself to go faster and even when it's hard and it hurts. I love doing it even when I wish I were capable of doing it better. Feeling like I could do better doesn't discourage me, it has the opposite effect--it makes me want to try even harder. I might have a moment of feeling down (like I do when a story has been rejected, or I read a bad review), but the pain or disappointment only lasts a short while, and before I know it my spirit bounces back with even greater drive and intent.

I think in a funny way, I'm as motivated by failure as I am by success. I'm certainly not afraid of failure. Or of success.

So that's how I'm thinking about my naturally competitive spirit, these days. I'm coming to terms with it. I'm embracing it. The bar for accomplishment is always of my own setting, and hopefully mostly in line with my actual abilities.

And there's nothing like running and running and running. Nothing. I can hardly think of anything that brings me greater happiness. Best of all, when I got home from the run, the older kids were waiting and ready to go: we'd agreed to run one or two kilometres together at the end of my run. My son surprised me by running two; my daughter was ready to stop after one (she ran it a bit too fast and got a cramp). What joy to hear my son say: "This is really fun, Mom!"

What a lot to be thankful for.

Labels: , ,