Tip of the day




Awhile back, I wrote a post about "Conscious Discipline." At the time, I copied a list of ten parenting principles onto a piece of green paper, which is still hanging in our kitchen. I think the list is terrific, and continue to refer to it from time to time.

Most recently, number eight jumped out at me: "Become the person you want your children to be." I love that line.

I'm becoming a fairly fit adult, and someone who takes great pleasure in running, biking, yoga, swimming, etc. And my kids know how I feel about it. I talk about it as relaxing, or as an outlet for difficult emotions, and a way to make life, generally, happier. The kids have now been to three races and they've seen how happy running makes me feel. One might say, job well done, Mom. You're becoming the person you want your children to be.

So.

Last week, Albus brought home a piece of paper from school, which he grabbed and tried to hide as soon as he saw me heading to check his backpack. What on earth? I thought. Is it a note from his teacher that he doesn't want me to see? Is he in some kind of trouble? When he sheepishly showed me the piece of paper, it had information about the school's Running Club. "You're going to make me sign up," he said, despondently. Of course, I said I wouldn't force him to do it, but wouldn't it be lovely, blah blah blah? And he said, no. He doesn't want to waste his recess time on running club. AppleApple was equally disinterested. I was mildly disappointed.

But when my eye caught number 8 on my "Conscious Discipline" poster, I just had to laugh. Here I am modeling away, and my kids are, so far, oblivious to the hints; at least to the most obvious and particular of the hints. I do think it's a good thing to become the person you want your children to be. But hopefully you're doing it as much for yourself as for them. They will have to make their own choices along the way, and there is only so much a parent can/should push for. It's just not a one-to-one ratio: do this, and receive that result. Life, and parenting, is much less predictable.

They're going to break out of my mold, and be themselves, be the individuals they already are. Maybe the more subtle messages will get across; that's what I hope. The messages about focus, working hard, and enjoying what you do. May it be so.

::::

In other news, please read my latest blog on Chatelaine.com. It's about learning to swim last summer, with an unexpected teacher.

Labels: , , , , ,