Ideas


My girl takes after me. I like to write my ideas down. I have to write my ideas down, more precisely. It's my version of "thinking out loud," and I recommend it to my older children when they are having trouble with anything: mean siblings, unfair situations, anger management, you name it.

Yesterday, I took my own advice. The big kids are at overnight camp, and the little kids are at a dance camp during the mornings, just for this week; and I have no projects on the go. I've completed the triathlon, and the related Chatelaine.com blog. I am waiting for line edits on The Juliet Stories. I seem unwilling to commit to a new character and a new story, just yet. I am at the crux of something. Restless. Curious. So I spent the morning talking to myself in terrible printing (barely legible, even to me) inside the pages of a handy notebook.

Did anything come of it? But of course! If not exactly peace of mind, then peace of purpose.

My mother has a phrase she uses often: She likes to "stay open to the possibilities." And while there's plenty to recommend the idea, I've decided that rather than staying open to the possibilities, I prefer to pursue, invite, and seek out possibilities--and when the time is right, to choose and to commit, which is kind of the opposite of staying open to more and more and more. Commitment means closing off possibilities--at least, some of them. But it also means believing in the possibilities before you and available to you, and not forever hoping that something better may be waiting around the corner. It's kind of like getting married. When I commit, I like to get it right. That comes with a certain amount (okay, a giant unreasonable amount) of agonizing and analyzing.

But I'm seeing that commitment can be lighter than that, too. I have before me a flexible year. Certain elements are inflexible: my youngest is still a preschooler for whom I am the primary caregiver. But depending on my income generation, there are childcare options to supplement my responsibilities. And I am at home. I can juggle. I'm not tied to the structured hours of a 9-5 job.

One thing became very clear during yesterday's brainstorming: I am finding more satisfaction from expanding my working life--my public life, essentially. To connect, to be engaged with the world--it's what I want.

Something clear to me at this exact moment, as my littlest leans his face onto my leg and says, "I'm bored!" is that I'm not a great mother when I'm typing on the computer or trying to think. The balance ... is so imperfect.

Labels: , , , , ,