Grace notes

I am working again today, my third consecutive day, though perhaps with less enthusiasm and energy than on days one and two. Friday, I ploughed with confidence through the first two stories, slow and steady, and with the phrase "take heart," in my mind.

Yesterday, I tackled my nemesis and felt satisfied. I wrote a new scene for another story and felt calm. And then I spent hours waiting for a couple of words to arrive: dialogue that must say enough but not too much, that will illuminate, leave space for mystery, and not confuse the reader. Oh, and complete a story with a few final rhythmic beats, too. Harder than you might think.

And this is the easy stage. Except maybe it's not. Maybe there isn't an easy stage. Yes, the stories are structurally sound. They are thoroughly imagined. That intensive and demanding work is long since done. But we're down to the details, the nitty-gritty, the word here that could be stronger, the paragraph there that is too vague, the stray fluff that if left in might distract a reader, might sap energy from the larger story.

It's work that makes me feel like pulling my hair out, like running for hours (in the opposite direction). I know these stories all too well. Can I walk through such familiar terrain and observe with fresh eyes? I cannot. It is impossible. The best I can do is force myself to pay attention, slow down, creep along, praying for a depth of concentration that will allow me to finish what I've started. To see it through to the end.

It should be easy. A word here, a word there. Grace notes.

That's a musical term, but I'm hearing it differently all of a sudden. Notes that grace the whole; but also, notes that arrive by grace.

That sums up the work I need to do today, and the work I've been doing. Waiting for grace. Sitting with my stories, picking slowly through them, hoping for grace. I can't rip the words out of thin air. I have to invite them over. And be here when they arrive. They're whimsical, fickle, unreliable guests. There's no predicting how they'll surprise me.

Which is why I'm still hanging around waiting, I suppose. It's tedious. But somehow I trust I won't be bored, in the end. Neither will you, dear reader, I hope.

Labels: , , ,