Inviting the neighbourhood into my messy house


"You did a good job of keeping everyone busy this week, so you could write your book, Mom." -- AppleApple

I'm a bit of a beast when it comes to getting things done. I should modify that claim: it applies only to things that matter quite a lot to me. But when I set myself a goal, I figure out how to get there. No procrastinating. No excuses. Obsessive? Single-minded? Something of a perfectionist? And yet I'm extremely lackadaisical in other regards. You should see the living-room floor right now, for example. Apparently, clean house is not one of my goals.

Getting through the line edits for The Juliet Stories was.

Here's how it was accomplished. 1. A blog-friend put me in touch with her babysitter, who was able to entertain four children for several hours on short notice, so I could go over my editor's notes in detail. 2. Another friend took all four children for a morning of play at her house, and fed them lunch, so I could have a phone conversation with my editor before beginning the edits. 3. Kevin took Friday off, and spent the entire weekend with the kids, on his own, while I holed up in the playroom to work. 4. The two older kids agreed to go to soccer camp this week. 5. A friend babysat the little kids on Tuesday and Thursday, and another friend did the same on Wednesday: lunches, snacks, outings. 6. I sat in front of the computer and forced myself to concentrate on the minutiae.

The only part of the book that remains unwritten is the acknowledgments. I'm saving the writing of them for a rainy day, as a treat. Sometimes I find myself drafting all the thank-yous in my head, with a kind of dreamy gratitude. Because the above paragraph represents only a fraction of all the help this book has received from friends, and family, and babysitters who have come to feel like family. It's been a group effort.

And, lest I dare to compare, it's been different from the first time around, when I wrote Hair Hat almost secretively, and with a deep unwillingness to identify myself as a writer, almost as if I couldn't believe it myself. (Impostor syndrome, perhaps). This time around has been messier. The process has taken longer. It's involved way more people. I've had to ask for more help. And, thanks in large part to this blog, I've gone public with all the mess and agonizing and stops and starts and work and luck and gratitude; and that's made it all easier, actually.

Maybe it's gauche to go so public with the ups and downs, airing my dirty laundry; or maybe it's like opening the front door and inviting the neighbours in. I hope it's the latter. But it's a fine line.

Thanks to all who've accepted the invitation and walked in to my untidy house.

Labels: , , , , , , ,