Our end of summer chaos

What's this? you may ask. Why it's a Quidditch pitch, of course.

And what about this? Ah, this is the breakfast bar disguised as play area, craft area, Lego-building, snack-time, reading, puzzle-making, crap-dumping area. And dimly visible beyond it, the living-room, complete with giant homemade movie-watching fort.

And here are some movie-watching fort-building Quidditch-playing recently eye-examined kids.

This week, the last before school starts, has been a quiet one. I've had no writing time. Zero. There seemed little point, having sent the line edits back to my editor at the end of last week (that's worth a small hurray!), and not having the fortitude to imagine starting a new project in the midst of this. And by this, I point you to the photos above, which capture only a portion of the domestic chaos in our rooms and yard.

The appropriate implement for cleaning our living-room, at this point, would be a snow shovel.

I spent the first day or two of this week making feeble attempts to clean up. I think it was fort day that smacked me in the face with the obvious: there's no point in cleaning up when the kids are still playing. And what else should they be doing during these last days of summer holiday? Of course they should be building Quidditch pitches out of duct tape and sticks and buckets and hula hoops. Of course they should be setting up gigantic (and sweltering) movie theatres with precariously balanced air mattresses and every pillow in the house, and of course their mother should let them eat popcorn in the living-room just this once, even though it's sure to spill, just because. So I did. And they spilled. And it wasn't the end of the world; or the end of anything, really.

I can't say I've enjoyed this week, but it's nobody's fault but my own. Where I'm at is caught in my own end of summer turmoil. I find myself performing small (private) feminist rants (while washing the dishes) about a decade wasted in not climbing the corporate ladder (ha! as if that would ever have been me), and erupting in bitterness because Kevin gets to go out the door to work every morning while I stay home and pop popcorn and plan supper and watch the kids stir up enormous messes (er, play creatively). It's time, as they say, for a change.

Today, Kevin is home from work, and we are getting stuff done. "It feels like it's fall," said Fooey this morning as I hung laundry and we listened to a squirrel's teeth gnawing on a black walnut, and the fallen leaves blew around the porch stairs. "Is it still summer?"

It is. It is! It's that melancholy late summer that gets me every year. It's full of promise and hope, somehow, the way endings always are. And restlessness. And a stomach full of butterflies.

Labels: , , , , ,