The progress of porch







These photos chronicle several days' work on the porch. Yesterday, the work was invisible, but important, as the room and the porch got wired for electricity. This morning, when I got home from a lovely early yoga class, there were several men on the upper deck. They will be working on cladding the wood and doing the decking. And the roofers may be here today, too (hard to tell who all is out there; it's a crowd this morning). Additionally, the electrician is back to wire the floor of my office for heat.

Am I saying "my office" way too often?

I'm now going to head up to "my office," to use those quotation marks to slightly different effect. Playroom is ascendant right now, office is marginal. The floor is littered with toys. The kids have been using my computer and printer without asking. I feel like it's hardly mine. But I'm working on a small side project and it just needs to get done; doesn't matter where; doesn't have to be pretty.

Isn't it funny how the closer one gets to something, the harder it is wait? This is true in races, too. The last 500 metres are often the worst of the whole race, and it feels next-to-impossible to take those steps. My coping method is to pretend that I still have another ten kilometres to run. Can I do another ten kilometres? I ask myself, and the answer is always, Yes. Weirdly, the steps come more easily when the finish line is out of the picture. So I'm still saying "Christmas," when I imagine moving into my office.

Labels: ,