Blinking in the sunshine

burntshed
light beyond dark

I love seeing all the runners go by my window, more and more as the days get sunnier. There is one young woman who zooms past virtually every day at a kickass pace. (I kind of want to be her.) My office looks onto the street, and our street seems to be a popular route, though I can't imagine why; traffic is heavy and there's nowhere to run but the sidewalk. Personally I prefer running away to the park, and dashing around the grass and trails.

I've had a few excellent runs this week. Dare I say it? I'll whisper it. My hip feels back to normal.

Today is another sunny day. And my mind is sunny to match. It's been an up and down week. I made the mistake of trying to write intensively far too early into the book-visioning process. The funny thing was, I knew the problem before I began, knew that it couldn't possibly work, and yet ... I had to go through the experience to get it. I'm dumb like that. But I'm not sorry. Yesterday, I wrote for eight hours straight. It wasn't what I'd intended to write. But it was such a happy day. It reminded me why I write. I don't do this because I have to. I do this because I love to. Writing is my version of singing. It's my version of dancing. (Though I like singing and dancing too). It is, quite simply, the thing that I do best.

Yup, I'm going to keep doing it.

I've got ideas, though. Notions, plans, intentions, dreams. Maybe even a vision.

:::

This month, I've slowed down on the Juliet publicity front. Next month it gets all busy again. I'm enjoying the break, though I'm looking forward to crawling out of my cave and interacting with real people again. *Note to self: Remember to re-attach mouth to brain before exiting cave. Also, reacquaint self with basics of small-talk.

Here's what's coming up ...
:: May 15. 7pm. Indie Night at the Starlight in Waterloo! Heather Birrell, Robert Hough, my brother's press, plus a bunch of other writers, and me!
:: May 16. Type Books in Toronto! With Heather Birrell! (It's almost like we're going on tour together.) I've got the time roughed in as 6-9pm, but that sounds long. I'll get back to you.
:: May 27. 7pm. Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo. More info to come on this event, which sounds pretty wild.
:: May 29. 9am. A Different Drummer Bookstore in Burlington. This event is called Books and Brunch, and I'll be reading with Dennis Lee (!!) *note to self: Do not start reciting Jelly Belly poems. That probably gets really irritating.

My other brand-new-activity-in-May is helping to facilitate several 45-minute writing workshops for teens. Anyone done this before? Tips? Advice? Games? Ice-breakers? Can you tell I've never done this before?

Labels: , , , ,