Today's experiment

spring2
balancing

Today, I am experimenting. Can I compartmentalize and work on two projects at the same time? I am going to attempt to develop my new character (ie. creative, not-yet-for-profit work), even while keeping several irons in the fire for a freelance piece I'm writing (ie. less creative work-for-pay). The new book, of course, has no due date, no deadline. The freelance piece does. I am obsessive about meeting deadlines (not necessarily a bad thing); except I'm so obsessive that I frequently meet deadlines well ahead of schedule. And honestly, I'm not concerned about meeting this one. I know I can do it. Things are moving along nicely. I know this. Still, my instinct is to worry it until it's done. Thing is, I can't finish this morning. There are interviews yet to do and other people's schedules to take into account. More to the point, I don't need to finish this morning. The deadline isn't until next week.

So. Can I step back, set it aside, not worry about it, and work productively on something completely different?

As I say, it's an experiment. It had better work, because, frankly, this could be my life for a long long time. It already is my life, you say? What with the children, and the cooking, and the triathlon training, and the book-writing? It's funny, but those things all fit together in a long-term way that doesn't trouble me. They're all part of a steady routine, an ebb and flow that isn't exactly predictable, and yet seems symbiotic somehow. More of this, less of that; more of that, less of this.

If I don't write a blog post today, I'll write one tomorrow. If supper is on the table late, well, eat some crackers and cheese, kids. If I have to drop a writing day to take a kid to the doctor, my book doesn't know it. In all of these circumstances, I'm flexible. But give me a deadline and I focus to the point of compulsion. Hm. Maybe this goes back to childhood: feeling a sense of responsibility as the eldest of five, wanting to please, anxious over any perceived failure, stomach in knots if we were late for school. I was "high-strung." Maybe, maybe, in some circumstances I still am.

My goal for today: Trust myself. I will get the job done. All in good time. And meantime, there is other work to be done, and it's just as valuable, even if invisible.

:::

Yesterday, a client of Kevin's brought him a ripped-out page from the latest issue of Elle Canada. "Tracking the best in movies, books, music and art," says the page. "This month, we're inspired by free spirits." And there is The Juliet Stories! I love that Juliet is being identified as a free spirit. (Wasn't "spirit" my word of the year when I was writing Juliet?) There's a dark side to being a free spirit, of course, and I suppose that's partly what the book is about; but sometimes I wish I were more free of spirit -- colourful, creative, adventurous, alive. Writing is my window into all those things I couldn't actually be.

:::

Finally, two exciting reading discoveries.

1. CJ is "reading" to us. I'm pretty sure he's essentially repeating memorized text, but he links the words on the page with the words he's saying. Out and about, he notices and reads signs (STOP is a good one), and he notices words and points out letters and letter sounds that he knows. Exciting!

2. Fooey read bedtime stories to CJ last night. For the record, I still love reading bedtime stories to the kids, but I'm not always available -- last night I was walking Albus home from piano lessons. I got home in time to hear the tail-end of the last story, and give goodnight kisses. Sweet.

Labels: , , , , , , ,