The morning is fleeing!

bee3
stop and drink the nectar

The morning is fleeing! I'm running out of time. Stop, Carrie, breathe for a moment. Drink the nectar.

Ahhh.

This afternoon, I'm hosting my literary friend Heather Birrell, with whom I will be reading tonight at The Starlight here in Waterloo. She's been forewarned about the fact that somehow we've neglected to vacuum for, like, weeks, and that there are toys and papers and dishes and stuff on pretty much every horizontal surface, floors included, and she assures me that she'll feel right at home amidst the chaos. Well, she's got two young daughters. And a brand-new book. I think we're good.

I want to tell you about her book. It's called Mad Hope, and the title comes from a line in a pitch-perfect story, "Geraldine and Jerome," which is set in the waiting room of a medical clinic and links up two unlikely-to-otherwise-meet-and-interact-characters. I happened to read it in the waiting room of a medical clinic (don't worry, I'm fine). Be warned, if you're planning to pick up this book and read it in public places: these stories will make you cry. Or maybe it's just me.

I'm thrilled to say that Heather invited me to be an early reader of these stories, so I know exactly how damn good they are. And the book has been getting rave reviews all over the place. I'm going to get Heather to sign my copy today. You can too, if you happen to be in Waterloo and come out to the Starlight tonight; or in Toronto tomorrow, where we'll be reading together again at Type Books.

And to add book news upon book news, my many-moons-ago boss, Noah Richler, has a new book out this spring too. It's called What we talk about when we talk about war, and it's about how our current government has been steadily distancing our country from its tradition of peacekeeping, preferring the warring nation metaphors instead. Noah will be in Waterloo on May 30th at the Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies. That just happens to be a free evening for me (!!), and I'm looking forward to hearing Noah speak. Join me? I'll post more details closer to the date.

One last thing. Noah's written a really lovely mini-review of The Juliet Stories, published on the 49th Shelf. In it, he talks about hiring me as an intern at the National Post, and his description of who I was then gave me a really lovely "how others see us" moment. Because who knows how others see us? (What I perpetually fear is that maybe I'd rather not know ... it's a personal hang-up. I need to get over that.)

Labels: , , , , , ,