It's raining, it's pouring

herbs2
how does your garden grow?

It never rains but it pours.

Those old tried and true phrases sure are tried and true. My kids love them, especially AppleApple, who is a word-fascinated child, and a writer in the making. Here is a funny poem she wrote recently: "I dropped a glass upon the floor / My mom came charging like a boar / Now I have an extra chore / To pick that glass up off the floor."

"You captured me very accurately," I said. (I hate messes; I probably do charge exactly like a boar when I hear the sound of a giant mess being made.)

"But I don't really have chores to do," said AppleApple.

Well, we all make things up. If you'd like to hear about the things that I make up, you can come to the Waterloo Public Library this evening at 7pm. I plan to read a story I've not read before, and will also be answering questions like, Did that really happen? What's true? What's invented?

It is raining and pouring very nice things these past few days. It is raining writing work, frankly, and I'm pleased. Some of the work I've been doing is essentially invisible. I've even taken on work minus a byline because the pay is good. Perhaps as a proud writer, I should not confess such things. I work just as hard on every single task, whether or not I'm getting credit, due to my obsesssive-compulsive character. But then, I work just as hard on learning how to kick a soccer ball, truth be told. It would be nice to be able to regulate this dial, to turn down the inner perfectionist, but hey. It's brought me here. I accept it.

Not to get too far off topic, but I'd like to share my theory about work. I figure I'm about a decade behind where I would have been, had I stayed at my job at the National Post. And I'm not fussy about it, or regretful in the least, because those were years well-spent with my children, and yes, I did continue to write fiction throughout. But I also accept that I have catch-up work to do, and experiences to gain, and therefore I'm willing to take jobs that are not particularly glamourous. Experience is experience. I would like to be an excellent interviewer, and I would like to write stories that dig deep into subjects that call out to be explored, to have light shone upon. Those are my goals. This is the path I'm choosing.

As a proud writer, I'm also thrilled to share the news that I've been invited to the Vancouver International Writers Festival in October. Insert large paragraph of exclamation marks, here:

I'll also be at the Winnipeg Writers Festival in September, and Eden Mills Writers Fest also in September. And Word on the Street here in Kitchener. It will be a busy fall.

Meantime, back to work. I've got some interviews to do.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,