For the love of it

DSC_0161.jpg

Last Wednesday evening, our backyard was transformed into a mini-studio: the lights you see above, plus one of those big umbrella-looking things (also a light), and a heavy-duty insanely expensive camera that, honestly, I couldn't even covet after I heard how much it cost. That'll never be mine. It would have been fun to take a self-portrait of the portrait being taken, but in all honesty, I was a little embarrassed by my rinky-dink setup. Besides, I was supposed to be posing, looking contemplative and intelligent in my black sweater, not running around trying to take photos.

I'd been invited to be a subject for Jonathan Bielaski, a local photographer who works for Maple Leaf Entertainment, among other clients -- yes, he photographs sports stars. But he started a side project this past year called "For the Love of It," where he takes portraits of people who love what they do.

I hope you'll browse around his blog. He's found some very interesting people. Maybe you do what you love and love what you do, too? Let me know, and I'll let him know. He's always interested in finding new subjects.

(Come to think of it, this project fits well with my words of the year: work/play. This summer, it's felt like I'm getting closer to achieving a sense of both in my daily life.)

Labels: , , ,