Summer hodgepodge

new haircut
summer haircut

I've been quiet here. Blame summer. Our days are feeling lazy and hazy and kind of effortless, even though it's also busy. Swim lessons have occupied our mornings for these past two weeks. Tomorrow's the last day, which feels bittersweet. The kids will be happy to be done, but I'll miss the routine, and the feeling that we're soaking up summer.

In other news, I almost hesitate to say it, in case it falls through, but we may soon have a real family pet (and not just an ant farm--which the children made yesterday with their very creative babysitter). I won't say more ... yet. But excitement is high, and I include the parents in that too.

On yet another note, one small soccer observation. I've figured out that there's one really simple way to be part of a team: show up. I've noticed that as the season has gone on, I've gained affection for those teammates who arrive every week, ready to try their hardest, regardless of skill level. That said, I'm hoping to continue to improve my skills, even while I recognize more and more what my weaknesses are (that's a good thing, right? I mean recognizing weaknesses?). I'm considering looking to play indoor this winter. I hate getting beat up on the field, but I actually love the game itself; so the game is winning out, at least so far. I want to play it, I enjoy playing it, I enjoy talking strategy after the game, and I enjoy visualizing how I can get better at it.

Finally, I participated in a project this week called For the Love of It. I'll let you know when it's up, with more behind-the-scenes info then. (I've gotten used to being on the other side of the camera/questions, so this felt a little strange.)

And now, I'm off to write -- fiction. Which you know I'm doing for the love of it. And that's a pretty awesome reason to do anything (see all of the above).

Labels: , , , , , , ,