Look how we've grown

DSC_1083.jpg
DSC_1061.jpg
DSC_1063.jpg
DSC_1078.jpg
Every September we measure the kids on a wall in the basement. We started the annual ritual not long after moving into this house, which was nine years ago this summer. It's entertaining to compare, say, AppleApple, who has always been my biggest child, from birth onwards, to Fooey, who has always been my smallest. We discovered this year that Fooey measures almost a year and a half behind AppleApple in height! AppleApple, meantime, would be taller than Albus, if they were exactly the same age. And so far, Albus and CJ measure identically at the same ages.

Trivia. The stuff of life.

This year we measured Kevin and me too. It was the kids' idea. I'd rather not repeat it every year, because really, all we can hope for is that we haven't shrunk: that's our only direction at this stage. Amusingly (for me), I proved taller than expected, and Kevin proved shorter. We're only separated by about 2.5 inches. So we gave everyone a low five: guess what kids, you've been gifted with short genes.

Reflecting on measuring changes, here's another one. I'm realizing that there may not be quite as much blog-time this fall as I've been accustomed to. Please accept in advance my apologies for the absences that may occur.

So much I want to tell you about: work, play, exercise, new activites, a family meeting, canning, running, writing, suppers. So much I want to record and preserve.

But the truth is that I'm not keeping up. I'm not used to not keeping up. Professionally, I'm swamped through October, and on the domestic front, well, it's back-to-school time, and you all know what that means. So I'm hoping to tread water. That's all.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm hoping not to shrink ...

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,