Winnipeg: Thin Air Writers Festival

IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2847.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2856.jpg
I took our old digital camera on my trip to Winnipeg, and figured out pretty quickly why we'd stopped using it: the battery runs dead after approximately a minute of use. But nevertheless it allowed me to capture fuzzy moments of my whirlwind adventure. The first photo, above, shows the Museum of Human Rights, still under construction, which was my view out the window when I ran on the treadmill in the empty fitness room (I never saw anyone else there). I stayed at the hotel for less than 24 hours, but still managed to run twice, and nap once.

On Monday, I had dinner with Sheree Fitch and took no photos. I knew her instantly though we'd never met in person, and I mean knew her knew her, not just recognized her. Maybe it seemed so natural to be with her that I assumed we'd have lots of time to pose for photos together, forgetting for the moment that she lives in Nova Scotia, and I'm here in Waterloo, and that mere fortune had allowed us to overlap in Winnipeg. Now I'm plotting to bring her to Waterloo to read in some schools -- especially in my kids' schools. How do such things get arranged?

At the table behind us were Bill Richardson and Karen Levine. Sheree knew them both. I'd met Karen eleven years ago when I recorded a story for a CBC radio program -- I was just striking out on my own as a writer, and I was also massively pregnant with Albus, and for some reason had chosen to wear gigantic maternity overalls that day. (Why???)

For my mainstage reading on Monday night, I chose to wear my pretty red high heeled shoes that get compliments every time (which my sister Edna has now given to me to keep), and the cute/countryish/suedish jacket that makes jeans look dressy. (I hope.)

That's me (and my poufy prairie hair) with the the festival's director, Charlene Diehl, whom I first met when I was 20 and I walked into her CanLit class at the University of Waterloo. What a festival she's made in Winnipeg. I'm so proud of her. The venues are terrific, the audiences come out (at our book chat on Tuesday afternoon, someone counted 95 people!), and the writers are treated, oh, so well. The hotel was a haven, and I loved every peaceful minute I spent there. What a gift.

I slept soundly. I woke refreshed. I sat and wrote. I read. I ran on the treadmill. There was space to retreat to -- I appreciated having that space, as well as having opportunities to connect. As something of an introvert, I need alone time to balance out the meeting and greeting.

Tiny side anecdote: One of the writers on Monday evening was Jess Walters (Beautiful Ruins), who was very funny -- and thankfully last to read. He told a story about his dad, who just couldn't wrap his head around the concept of a reading. "What -- you wrote the book, now you gotta read it to them too?" Ha!

On Tuesday morning, I did not sleep in, but I got a nice cup of coffee, I wrote, and ran, and at 12:30 on the dot, with great regret, I checked out of my room and went for lunch. I decided to order a glass of wine with my meal. I sat alone at the table, and read. It was a strange luxury, not one I could imagine getting used to -- not one I particularly would like to get used to, when it comes right down to it. But it was good because it was so unusual.

Then I went up to the hospitality suite and discovered a small frenzy, lots of people. Being a bit thick, I didn't figure it out right away, plopped down on the couch, checked my phone, gazed around, and went, duh! That's Richard Ford, Pulizter Prize winner, he of the steely blue eyes. We introduced ourselves and shook hands. The general atmosphere was of people excitedly dropping things and attempting not to sound ridiculously giddy or silly.

I missed his reading that evening. I was on a plane back to Toronto, which sounded disconcertingly like its muffler had fallen off.

When I walked through our front door, after midnight, I snuck around to every room and squeezed and kissed and hugged every child. In the morning, in the whirl and bustle of getting us all ready for school and work, nobody even asked: hey, Mom, how was Winnipeg? I though that was funny. It was a short trip, and I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm glad that it was so easy to slide back into home life, so easy that no one seemed to notice much that I'd come and gone. Or maybe they just accepted me back, as if I'd never left.

There's a bit of that to travelling too. Being present in the moment. And then it's gone, and it reverts to being almost dream-like in memory, vivid snippets, densely packed. I wonder which vivid snippets from Winnipeg will stick with me most strongly? There's no telling.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,