A day out of ordinary life, with thanks and mile-wide smiles

reading at the launch of Waterloo's Wild Writers Festival, yesterday evening

photo speaks for itself

with Tamas Dobozy, fellow local writer and GG finalist

with my husband, Kevin, who told me my hair looked fine (but I think it's a bit wild, no?)
So. That was quite a day.

Apparently I only stopped grinning ear to ear when it was entirely impractical, such as while doing a reading from The Juliet Stories.

I know it's cheesy to say so, but yesterday was truly special. It was a day out of ordinary life, yet still grounded in it. I don't expect to have many days like it in my lifetime. Below, at the risk of sounding giddy and foolish, a few highlights.

- I'm glad that I posted early on yesterday, when the news was still so fresh and astonishing. That post is a keepsake in words. (And I'm glad for all the moments my blog has captured over the years that I've been chronicling our family's adventures, big and small.)

- I rode a wave of excitement yesterday, generated by the goodwill of friends and family. Thank you, all who joined in to share the moment. (It reminded Kevin of when we had our first baby: the genuine outpouring of happiness that greeted that arrival.)

- A friend arrived, early afternoon, offering Goat cheese and "Grapes" (wine): get it? Double Gs to celebrate the GGs. And bless her heart, because I hadn't eaten lunch. And I needed someone to hug. And the glass of wine didn't hurt either.

- My kids! Oh my goodness, they arrived home all together in a clump, and Kevin had met them partway and shared the news, and they were positively giddy (at least the older ones were). Beaming. Everyone fighting for hugs. Albus's first question, which he kept repeating in hopes of receiving a different answer, was: "Are we going to be millionaires?" Um, sorry, kiddo, you may not realize this but I'm a CANADIAN LITERARY WRITER. That will never happen.

- When a TV camera arrives at your doorstep, you will discover where you draw the line in terms of what you're willing to share publicly. Did I rush to shovel the Lego off the floor? Did I brush my hair? Did I make my children turn off the wii? No. But I did remove my crocs, which I wear as slippers around the house, and put on shoes instead. So apparently that's my line and there ain't no crossing it: crocs.

- The publicity. I've got to tell you, it will sound crass, but it's sweet to know that news of my book's existence is being broadcast around the country. I'm not sure a writer can ask for anything more than that. Here are links to the articles: I spoke to Mark Medley at the National Post first (he caught me literally within 15 minutes of the announcement, smart man); Victoria Ahearn at The Canadian Press interviewed me next, which was lovely because a lot of papers carry the CP stories (and everyone used Vincent Lam's photo, which makes sense as he's the most well-known of the five finalists); I spoke to Paul Irish at the Toronto Star next (mid-wine, actually); then I spoke to Robert Reid at The Record, and they also sent a photographer to last night's event. Apparently I'm on the front page today, but I haven't seen this to confirm it. And then the TV crew showed up while I was making lentil soup for supper.

- Can you believe the beauty and candour of those photographs? My friend Nancy Forde took them at the party last night. She also took my author photo, which appears on the inside cover of The Juliet Stories. How lucky am I to have a personal chronicler of life's big moments on the scene with camera in hand? (She also took photos at my book launch, way back when.) If you want more Nancy, visit her work on Flickr. She's got a gift.

- I squeezed in a run before the reading. Thank goodness for running. There is no better way to burn nervous energy, quickly and efficiently.

- My mom reminded me that occasionally things come along that are more important than a good night's sleep. Isn't that the truth.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,