A wild autumn wind

DJ
When I woke up from my nap this morning, the word that came to mind was "replenish." But now the same word sounds a little bit suspicious, like the advertising copy for a facial cream or something. Nevertheless, replenishment is on my mind. Or maybe just napping. That was my second nap of the morning, truth be told. I went right back to bed after my early morning run and slept until the kids had be dragged up, too; and after walking CJ to the bus stop, I came home and crawled back into bed again, and let myself sleep for as long as I wanted. Which would seem to suggest I have no deadlines pressing.

In fact, I've just met a couple of deadlines, so I am feeling the relief of that; and giving myself permission to take some extra rest.

My inbox is quiet.

This week is a quiet interlude sandwiched between several very busy ones.

One of the questions asked yesterday evening at the book club I visited was: what changes now that your book is a GG finalist? And I had to say: well, nothing very obvious, really. Like any opportunity, you make of it what you can. I think (though I'm open to argument) that this nod is meant to acknowledge work done, not to fix my feet in any literary firmament, nor to launch me in some way. What really matters is the work I'll continue to do. Maybe this will make that work more possible to continue, but then again, maybe not. Whatever I try to publish next will have to stand on its own merit, not on what came before.

I've been wondering: why are we drawn to books with stickers, or movies that have won awards? I'm as guilty of it as the next person. I know it's not a guarantee of excellence, and yet I'm still willing to take a chance on something that has some kind of communal stamp of approval on it. I may not even mind if I don't ultimately like the book or movie--it won't feel like time wasted--because at least I've participated in a cultural conversation, just by showing up. And so, it occurs to me that perhaps the most tangible benefit of having one's book stickered is that it gives the book (briefly, at least) the opportunity to enter into a wider conversation.

Wow, that's some autumn wind today. It's wild out there.

Sometimes I think what I'm hoping for, and maybe waiting for, maybe in perpetuity, is not replenishment, but a strong wind to blow clean the mind.

(But replenishment sounds so much easier.)

Labels: , , , , ,