Measuring the weight of a day

DSC_2629.jpg
celebrating a birthday

Sometimes it's best to measure a day's success by values other than productivity. Sometimes, rather than thinking about what I've accomplished, I notice: I've connected with friends and family today.

I appreciate that on most mornings, when I get up early, I'm meeting a friend. A surprising amount of ground can get covered during this sleepy, short time together.

I appreciate the drives to and from swimming and soccer and piano. I especially love finding myself one-on-one with a child. We don't have to talk about anything big or exciting. We're just happy to be together. There's a sense of purpose as we head toward our destination, but there's no sense of hurry.

I appreciate saying yes to crazy projects/events with friends. Yesterday morning, I was running through a snow-covered farmer's field with a friend. Yesterday evening, I was eating smores beside a campfire under a dark and starry sky. In between, I had lunch with a friend, ferried children to piano lessons, ran fast at an indoor track, hung laundry, washed dishes. I also got zero new writing done. How to measure yesterday's weight and meaning and worth?

On Tuesday night, instead of reading in bed, I stayed up to listen to my eleven-year-old enthuse about a school project (who knew he could be enthusiastic about school?).

Sometimes I text a friend (or my sister) whom I miss, but don't have time to meet face-to-face. These disjointed abbreviated back-and-forths feel oddly conversational, like we've been with each other during that time.

I am often rushing from task to task, moment to moment, place to place. But in between, sometimes even amidst the rushing, I recognize that I feel quiet, stilled, present, at ease. I feel connected, strongly, to the ones I love. I feel solidly, persistently myself.

I'm not necessarily being productive by worldly measures. I'm not making anything. I'm not earning anything. I'm not going anywhere. I have nothing visible to show for my day's labours. So it might be asked, why bother throwing yourself in deep, whole-heartedly, if there is no apparent goal being forwarded or accomplished?

Ah, but you know exactly why, I'm sure: because. Just because. This is life.

Labels: , , , , , , ,