Wild

DSC_0241.jpg
click on photos to see in full

I haven't been getting enough sleep and it may be due to my late-night reading material. I just finished Wild, by Cheryl Strayed, which should not be dismissed merely because it has an Oprah book club sticker on it. I really loved this memoir. It was everything I hope for in a book: I was entertained, I was moved, I learned new things, I met fascinating characters, it touched me, it felt relevant to my own experience without being preachy, it expressed a deeper human truth while remaining particular and individual, and it had a compassionate moral outlook. And it was written by a woman. Hurray! I've been mildly troubled by my male-author-heavy recent reading trend. Not that there's anything wrong with reading books by both men and women, but I kept waiting for the female-authored book that would speak to me with authority. And Wild did.

I won't give a detailed plot synopsis, because you've probably already heard about the book or even read it yourself, but the narrator is hiking 1100 miles of wilderness trail, by herself, age 26, several years after the death of her mother, as a way to recover her life from a seriously scary downward spiral. Because I read it as an ebook, I can't easily thumb through to find favourite bits, but I loved when this troubled spirit recognized that her efforts to get out of herself, to escape, had been not actually what she longed for. What she longed for was to get in. It was such a simple and profound way of expressing the paradox of the human mind and spirit: how the easy way out is always a trap, because it prevents us from finding what we really crave, which is a way into ourselves -- and the way in is hard. And yet, it's also not hard because it's so right, because it lines up who we want to be with who we are, I think. Peace. Grace. Stillness.

So, two things I loved about the book. One, it was about hard physical effort. I related to that as a path to entering into one's life and self. Two, the acknowledgements. I read the whole book with pleasure and ease, and it almost came as a shock to see the author thanking mentors, grant-giving institutions, writers' festivals, and writing retreat centres. Right! I thought. This effortless-seeming book was written by a writer. Obvious, I know. But it gave me a feeling of kinship to recognize the work behind the scenes, to remember that every wonderful piece of writing began as an idea, and was supported by an invisible web, and brought to being by the same hard yet right process of steady work. That it didn't just emerge whole. Cheryl Strayed wrote this book the same way she walked the trail: with help, alone, in doubt, and in hope. Sure, there are some ecstatic moments along the way, but writing a polished and complete book is kind of like walking 1100 miles of wilderness trail (or so I imagine): it's a grind. You're going to hate that you're doing it some days, and think you might actually be crazy. You'll be afraid and have to tell yourself that you're not. You'll be humbled by all you're not, and also by all you are.

It's the grind that yields.

DSC_0240.jpg

In other news ...

Most of the fallen tree is now piled in our front yard.

I spent yesterday afternoon deliberating with other members of The New Quarterly's story jury, as we picked out a winner and runners-up for their emerging writer story contest. I learned a few things that I hope to apply in my creative writing class this fall. One is a total ban on sex scenes -- I mean in their stories, not in the classroom; well, actually, I mean both, but the latter does not generally require mentioning. Only well into one's writing career should one should attempt to write a sex scene, and even then ... which reminds me, Cheryl Strayed wrote a really good sex scene. So it's not that it can't be done well, it's just not a promising place to begin. Everything I type right now seems to be loaded with double-entendres. Which is probably part of the problem.

Anyway, that was yesterday, and I also zoomed all over town on my bike. My muscles are aching from lifting weights yesterday morning, and they're still aching from a push-up extravaganza on Friday morning, not to mention the general battered and bruised feeling I carry following my evening soccer games (now on Thursdays and Sundays), and Saturday's long run. I'm taking today off except for yoga stretches.

I scored a replay-worthy goal in Sunday's game. It's the goal I've been envisioning for months. I believing in envisioning, by the way. I believe if you can't imagine it, you can't do it in real life. The goal came off of a beautiful cross on a strong run up the left wing. I was on right forward, and running hard. The ball crossed ahead of our centre forward and I caught it on my right foot at the top of the box, controlled it like I knew what I was doing. The centre forward, behind me, told me I had time, take my time, and I did, somehow calmly positioning the ball and as the defender rushed me, I shot it over the goalie's fingertips, skimming an inch under the bar, and swishing the back of the net.

I get to describe it in detail because it may never happen again. But it happened once. I could not stop grinning for about ten minutes. It was one of those magical sporting moments that keep a person coming back to a game--when it feels like the moment is unfolding separate from thought, purely on instinct, and you know in advance you're going to do exactly the right thing. You have utter confidence in yourself, and it seems like it's suddenly so easy. (Of course, it's not). Everyone who's played a sport knows what I'm talking about it. Come to think of it, it's another example of grace.

DSC_0233.jpg

AppleApple got a goal of her own in last night's game. CJ and Kevin and I all came along to watch.

And now it's back to work. The younger kids are at daycamp. Albus will be home from camp in two more sleeps. AppleApple is watching the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, which she read this spring. And I'm writing scenes that are kind of like candy. They are so fun to read, and to write, it's weirding me out.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,