Sent and spent

DSC_0416.jpg

I sent this pair off to buy something for lunch, for the second time this week. They went to Vincenzo's and got sushi and soda pop. CJ ate a blue frosted cupcake before they were even home. "We tried the free samples!" (On Monday, I let them go to the grocery store to get something for lunch and they returned with: Corn Pops, Cap'n Crunch, mini chocolate chip cookies, and three cheese buns. I think I see improvement?)

Fooey is doing tennis camp this week, which is why she's not been involved. (Side note: she's been working on filling in a journal all about herself, and had this to say on the page with prompts about her parents. "The one thing I hope I never inherit from my mom is the way she ... HAS NO STYLE." And: "The one thing I hope I never inherit from my dad is the way he ... HAS NO HAIR." My attempts to defend myself were met with scorn. Well, justified perhaps, because that kid has style.)

DSC_0418.jpg

It feels like a day for black and white.

Here is my desk, right now. On the left, see the syllabus I'm working on. In the middle, my BlackBerry, which flashes whenever I get a message (very distracting, but I must like being distracted; text me, please!). On the right, this week's calendar full of to-do lists and daily events not to be forgotten. And on the computer screen, a message to my editor with the revised version of Girl Runner attached. Yup! She's gone off. I've sent her on her way.

DSC_0421.jpg

Kevin, who has been my first reader for as long as I've had a writing career, stayed up past midnight reading the new draft, and told me this morning that he couldn't put it down. He offers the following blurbs: "I felt like I was running in Aggie's shoes over a 100-year race." And "The book had the perfect combination of pace and depth, just like the 800 metres." And: "Normally I can read only a few pages at a time. I read half the book in one sitting." As he's obliged only to say good things, for the sake of our marriage, you might think this input is highly suspect, but I'm going with it. It's been a summer of intense and sometimes crazy-making labour, and I can't do more without a serious break from the material. And my editor is pleased to have it back on her desk again.

And now I give myself the respite of a week or so, before the madness of the fall schedule begins, to be quiet, peaceful, breathing, playing, and not working. Tall order.

DSC_0410.jpg

One last thing. My next post is going to be about everything I'm excited for this fall. It really and truly is. Because there is so much coming in and now that I've sent the manuscript I can breathe and sit back and look at it all. And rest my head. And say thank you.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,