"A person is a person through other persons"

DSC_0116.jpg

This morning, I walked. It wasn't a run, and it didn't flood me with world-conquering endorphins, but it was sanctioned by a health care practioner, and I was glad to be moving through the world, no matter how slowly. "Try a thirty minute walk," the physio said. "And if you feel fine after 24 hours, bump it up to thirty-five. When you get to an hour without symptoms, you can try 5-10 minutes of easy jogging." He didn't have to tell me twice. I'm on it!

This is progress. And the pace, on this misty-moisty morning, suited me just fine. Everyone who passed on the sidewalk said hello. I noticed people sitting on their front porches, quietly observing, one of the many details I miss when running down an early morning street.

I'm still humming after yesterday's creative writing class. As I sat there, in our acoustically challenged bunker of a classroom, listening to four different animated conversations rising and falling, and all of them about a poem, I just felt good. I saw why the teachers I know love doing what they do. My mushy general goal for the class is engagement: with words, with language, with emotions. Beyond that, I'd really like it if on occasion we were all transported just a little bit, to somewhere not quite ordinary. Maybe I'm secretly trying to recreate my poetry book club in classroom form: a safe place to talk about big ideas, like mortality and love and what really matters to us, and why.

DSC_0137.jpg

I discovered another fascinating, inspiring and moving obituary in yesterday's paper: Anne Goodman, a professor of adult education and community development at OISE, and a woman who was many other things, too, in a life cut short by cancer. She led the kind of life I admire, shifting her energy to different work as she felt called, with deep engagement at every step, always true to herself. The title of today's post is a quote from the obituary. In 1999, a pivotal experience altered Dr. Goodman's life's direction. She met a man, a stranger, on a path somewhere in Toronto who needed immediate help. The remains of his murdered teenage daughter had just been found, down that path -- he was going there, now, he told Anne Goodman. She walked with him, listened to him, and stayed with him when they came to the place where the police were. She said that she couldn't let him go alone.

I am struck by this story. So often all we have to offer is a willingness to walk along with someone else. Maybe we're the listener, or maybe we're the one talking, but without a shared willingness to connect, we can neither give nor receive. One more thing: that we really don't know what's ahead, we just don't. So prepare a carefully plotted path, but stay open.

All of which is to say: I loved saying good morning, this morning, to strangers on the sidewalk. I did not wish I were running instead, because I was thrilled to be walking. There is agency and there is circumstance, and right now, circumstance is ascendant: I'd love to be waking early, racing trails, and swinging kettlebells, but instead I'm doing less, not more, and reflecting on stillness rather than motion. You know me. It's not what I'd choose, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth exploring and embracing while it lasts.

:::

Side note: I will be reading at Word on the Street tomorrow afternoon, 4pm, an event that's paired with Doors Open. So you can tour a heritage site (I'll be at the Walper Hotel) and pause to listen to some readings while you're at it. Lots of terrific, big-name authors are coming to town.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,