Experiments in expertise

DSC_0094.jpg

You all really liked that other colour of green, didn't you? It's okay, you can tell me. I can take it. I really like it, too. But it didn't fit with my vision for the room! To use a metaphor, as I'm wont to do, it's like editing one's own writing: kill your darlings, is how Stephen King puts it. The point being, just because you love something doesn't mean it fits. Sometimes you have to paint over a colour you really love, or remove a plot point that charms you, or exise your favourite sentences (actually, in writing, that is almost the rule rather than the exception. Your favourite sentences will inevitably be the ones you have to sacrifice in honour of the whole.)

Stick with your vision. This will make you happier in the end.

Yesterday, the Giller longlist was announced. I didn't hear about it until rather late in the day, which put in perspective the difference between this year and last. Last year, I was on tenterhooks the morning of the announcement, which kicks off prize-season here in CanLitLand. And then I wasn't on the list. It felt crushing, but I coped, and pretty soon I felt better. But it was kind of a relief, this year, not to have that pressure of waiting and wondering and then coping and forging onward. A year from now, I'll be going through this all over again. I can't even ask the question: should literary prizes matter so much? One hopes a deserving book finds its readers no matter what, but the prizes do help focus attention, especially on books that might go otherwise overlooked.

I want to congratulate everyone on the list -- and also hug everyone not on the list, especially those who it seemed might find their way there. One small observation: there are 13 writers on the list, and 4 are women. I wonder about that. And then I observe that the jury is made up of two Canadian women (Esi Edugyan and Margaret Atwood) and one American man (Jonathan Lethem). So, who knows. I realize that's not a profound conclusion, but I haven't got one.

One more thing: looking over this list of authors, I notice how many are of my own generation, or just a little older than me. Makes me realize that "the establishment" is fluid. The list also reinforces my sense that CanLitLand is about the size of a neighbourhood, and that I've found it a lovely place to dwell. Despite the pressure and anxiety around prize lists, I'm looking forward to having a new book out next fall, because it's a reason to travel and meet other writers, and that's my favourite part of living in CanLitLand.

I woke up without a headache this morning. I've been sitting at my desk for over an hour, and I still have no headache. This feels worth celebrating! Perhaps with a sunshiny walk: I saw the physio yesterday, and he said I could try a half hour walk once or twice a day. He also did acupuncture, and I swear it helped. As yesterday afternoon turned to evening, it felt like the fog was lifting.

DSC_0097.jpg

I cut this lad's hair yesterday outside in the backyard. I'm trying to remember when I became an "expert" haircutter, and I think it was as a teen, when I simply insisted that I knew what I was doing, and my mother let me experiment on my younger siblings, who suffered some occasionally unflattering cuts as a result. (Edna, please forgive me that bowl cut?) But some of the cuts actually turned out, cementing my "expert" status! (Or, more accurately, my delusions of expertise.) I remember giving my mother a brilliant haircut right before her high school reunion. In turn, this anecdote should give you a succinct understanding of who my mother is: a woman who would let her teenaged daughter give her a haircut right before her own high school reunion!!! She trusted it would work out, you see. That's pretty awesome mothering, in my opinion.

DSC_0092.jpg

Stripes! We should have done stripes just like these! This girl had her second gymnastics class yesterday evening. Flushed and happy afterward, she wondered whether she could take more than one class a week. "I might have found my special thing, Mom!" (She's been terribly worried because her siblings all have their "special things" that they love to do, soccer, mainly, while she's dabbled in, but never loved, quite a few activities including dance and tennis.)

I tried to ease her anxiety by explaining that we may discover many special things that interest us deeply at different times in our life, and that experimenting is a good thing, but I'm to blame for putting the anxiety in her head in the first place, by suggesting that we all have "special things." I meant to encourage her to explore her interests, but instead I planted a seed of worry. Parenting. Try, fail, try again, fail better.

IMG_00000093.jpg

One of this girl's "special things" started yesterday evening, and we were both really excited to get the season underway. Swim team! Last fall, she was a novice who couldn't do a flip turn or a start dive, and now she seems like a veteran. Here's a thought. A sign that something may be our "special thing" is that we return to it with excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment, even when it's no longer new. Even when we already have a sense of what to expect from ourselves. Even when we're acquainted with our limits, and know our own strengths and weaknesses. If, even then, we want to participate and keep learning and stretching and growing, then we've landed on something special.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,