Holiday album

DSC_0570.jpg

We've been away on holiday, a fact I choose never to announce on social media, including this blog, perhaps out of paranoia, but it gives me a sense of security. So anyway, you didn't know we were gone, but, hey, we're back!

IMG_00000055.jpg

Right before we left, I took the kids on our annual back-to-school shopping trip. I hate shopping, they hate shopping, we all hate shopping, so we only do it once a year: a visit to the mall that always includes the food court.

DSC_0460.jpg

Also before leaving, we ditched our couch upon finding a bed bug associated with it. One bug. God knows if it came from the couch, as we couldn't find any signs of any others, but we'd had the couch for thirteen years, and I'd disliked it strongly for the last three, at least. I was almost afraid of myself -- how easy it was to get rid of the couch, after years of indecision. What else might I suddenly admit dislike to and get rid of? A neighbour took it home -- the couch, I mean. Albus tried to stop him, citing the bed bug, the broken springs, the etc. etc., but the neighbour insisted. He identified himself as an "unpublished writer," who was working on screenplays for the CBC. You never know who's living up the street, do you? But now we know what he's sitting on.

DSC_0610.jpg
DSC_0558.jpg
DSC_0536.jpg

On our holiday, I read J.K. Rowling's new mystery, The Cuckoo's Calling, (being a sucker for mysteries), which rendered me completely useless to my family for an entire day and part of the night, too. I also finished Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies, which I loved, though it did take me four months to get from one end to the other. I also read through my dad's collection of last year's New Yorkers (so did the older kids, unexpectedly). We swam in the cool lake, kayaked, took the dogs for a row boat ride (a mistake, as apparently both suffer from seasickness), played outside all day long. We went skinny-dipping one night -- all six of us, including our five-year-old who spent the entire time announcing delightedly what we were up to at loudspeaker volume. He LOVED it. I hope the neighbours didn't hear, however. My favourite part of that experience was when we were all standing on the dock, towels dropped, shivering -- that awkward moment while we worked up the nerve to jump into the freezing cold. (No photos of that!) There were starry skies, several seriously hot perfect summer days when we didn't even need a towel to dry off after a cooling swim, a day of rain, three successful water skiers, and lots of junk food and fancy drinks.

DSC_0622.jpg
DSC_0658.jpg
DSC_0614.jpg
DSC_0617.jpg
(That's AppleApple, Albus, and Fooey, twice, respectively.)

No electronics were mentioned, though we did watch movies on the rainy day. Work and home started to interrupt a few days in (for me and for Kev), and it was hard to stay in relaxation mode knowing what was waiting for us back here.

DSC_0580.jpg
DSC_0609.jpg

Kev and AppleApple worked on a project inspired by a curiously water-carved log that turned up on the beach this past spring -- my dad thought it would make a totem pole, and Kevin ran with the idea. He spent the holiday happily working on this project.

DSC_0547.jpg
DSC_0581.jpg

("I really like what you're doing on the smaller totem pole."
"You mean, the one with the towel on it?"
"Oh. Uh. Is that a towel?"
Being Kevin, he did not take this as criticism, but ran with it. Towel as inspiration.)

DSC_0670.jpg
DSC_0682.jpg
DSC_0684.jpg
DSC_0690.jpg

He also brushed AppleApple's hair. Wow.

DSC_0477.jpg
DSC_0484.jpg

I felt a bit starved for creative expression, myself, and found myself missing my desk and computer. I call writing "work" but it isn't, really. It's life, for me. I took a lot of photos instead. Way too many. So many sunsets! I include some here.

DSC_0503.jpg
DSC_0510.jpg
DSC_0521.jpg

What else happened? Well, the dogs went swimming:

DSC_0527.jpg
DSC_0528.jpg
DSC_0530.jpg

Oh, and I did something I've never done before: I drove a boat. I've never driven a boat before, but the cottage is boat-accessible only, and my dad thought I should learn. I might have been sixteen again. AppleApple came along to help, because we had to make the return trip on our own (just me and her), and she took some photos. It might look like I'm relaxed and smiling, but check out that grip on the steering wheel -- my knuckles are literally white.

DSC01156.jpg

On another and not entirely unrelated note: I feel old! I don't know why. Maybe it's my hair. We were comparing hair colour, the kids and I, our different shades of red, and one of them told me my colour was "red-grey." Really? Okay, maybe it's not that I feel old, it's that I look older than I feel. I may never resolve this problem.

DSC_0790.jpg
DSC_0712.jpg
DSC_0588.jpg

School starts tomorrow. I'm working through a mountain of cottage laundry. Kev's got vertigo from swimming in the cold lake (he gets it every year and forgets every year, and goes swimming). I haven't been for a run in nearly two weeks, rendering my training plan for the Toad pretty much back to square one, but my mildly concussed head is appreciative, and I haven't had any symptoms for over a week. There won't be time to get into proper shape before the race. I'm trying to be at peace with this, and be happy about all those sunsets we got to see. And the sound of loons. And watching my children enjoy each other's company.

DSC_0782.jpg

We're privileged, and I know it, to have a week like this in our summer, and to share it together, no matter the blips and bugs and breaks along the way.

DSC_0801.jpg

Onward. Keep breathing. Keep hoping.

Labels: , , , ,