Inspirational lectures, Carrie-style

DSC01401.jpg

I taught my last class yesterday evening.

We ended with a "poetry slam," and the students got to read/perform something they'd written for the course. I brought snacks. It was fun. 

At the very end of class, I handed back an assignment and said, "And I'd like to give you all a copy of my first book." Was I ever surprised when the class erupted in cheers. "Really? Wow, I'm so relieved," I said. "I thought maybe it was kind of lame on my part, like, hey, guys, here's my book ..." "It feels like we're on Oprah," someone said (of course with irony). "Like we should be checking under our chairs." "Yes, there's a publishing contract for everyone under your chairs," I said. That was a joke. But I did give them all a copy of HAIR HAT, which isn't obtainable anyway by other means, since it's out of print, a fact I'd shared with them in an earlier class during my inspirational lecture on "Being a Writer is All About Rejection and Disappointment"; though I had to revise my lecture somewhat after selling GIRL RUNNER the very next week. "Being a Writer is All About Rejection and Disappointment, Except When It's Also About Your Dreams Actually Coming True!"

A few students were curious to know whether I'd teach again. I got the general impression that they hoped I would, and that they hoped I'd enjoyed teaching them. I know it will/would be easier next time, having laid out a curriculum that worked quite well, and would work better with a few minor tinkerings and adjustments. But I can only do it if I have the time. And that remains to be seen.

I do think it was good and useful work, and I'm glad to have been given the opportunity to do it. It felt, I'll admit, like a major responsibility for which I have no training; in other words, a fairly daunting task, now undertaken, and accomplished. Except for the final marking. Oh, right. The marking.

I'll miss the room, above.

I'll miss the warm, comfortable atmosphere that developed in the room as the term progressed and we all got to know each other. I'll miss hearing the students' stories, too.

DSC01405.jpg

I won't have to miss my office quite yet, however, as I'll be back to visit regularly over the next week or two in order to plough through that aforementioned marking. I like marking there. It's quiet and I'm not distracted, and it feels like it's what I'm there to do, so I do it. Also, I work hard because I want to get done and go home. There's food at home.

Wish me luck.

Labels: , , , ,