Catch up birthday

DSC_0887.jpg
gummi worm volcano cake

We had a big windstorm overnight, and a power surge that blew out part of the hydro wire running to our house in rather spectacular fashion with firecracker pops and flashing blue light, which made it hard for everyone to sleep last night. Luckily, the line is being held up by the tree in our front yard, so it's not downed, and is still providing electricity. Don't worry, we're doing all the things we've been told to do, it isn't a danger to anyone, currently (so to speak), and all will be repaired soon.

But it was a disturbed night. And it's AppleApple's birthday. Maybe we should let the kids stay home from school today, came the pre-dawn thought.

Really?! Yes, really. The joy was unanimous. Some are still in pajamas and it's nearly 4pm.

I also intended to catch up on things left undone, but have only been partially successful in that.

Still, it seems we all needed this catch up day. It ends at 5 o'clock when the evening activities kick in, but it's been sweet.

DSC_0892.jpg
DSC_0893.jpg
DSC_0894.jpg

On the weekend, we celebrated AppleApple's birthday, a small party with long-time friends that allowed her to relax, play, and hang out, which seems to happen not frequently enough. It was a "baking and board games" theme. The girls baked the cake and fashioned a gummi worm volcano in the middle.

DSC_0855.jpg

We had spaghetti with meatballs and caesar salad, and I thought, looking at the table, that I'm a lot like my dad in my over-estimation of food amounts: ain't nobody going hungry at my table!

DSC_0926.jpg
still ten

Here's the birthday girl last night, when she was still 10. She had a loose tooth, which she pulled right before bed. "Don't forget about the tooth fairy," she said, and when, about half an hour later, I climbed up to her bunk with a toonie to exchange for the tooth, she whispered, "Mom, I'm still awake!" "Do you want the tooth fairy to come tonight?" I asked, being on my way to bed. "Mom, I'm actually asleep."

DSC_0930.jpg
definitely eleven

And here she is today, officially 11, blissed out with dogs and book. Yeah, she's wearing the same pajamas she was wearing last night. I think that means she's having a happy birthday.

Labels: , ,