At home anywhere

IMG_00000186.jpg

So there's a lot going on that isn't fantabulous*, but I'm still flying high after yesterday's successful plot to turn any-damn-where into my office.

Look at this. I'm editing my book while at my daughter's swim lessons, laptop on knees, bathed in the ambient glow of the Coca-Cola machine, with students slumping by in their squeaking wet boots, lost, opening the doors to the squash courts, lost, squeaking past again. The one guy went by four times. I know because he was on crutches, so he emitted a special thumping dragging sound in addition to the wet squeak of his boots.

At the next location, I used ear plugs. These are bright orange and not the least attractive, but made me feel even more at home.

IMG_00000188.jpg

Here, I'm editing my book while at my daughter's soccer practice (same daughter, same evening), leaning on her giant backpack for support, in a high-traffic zone, peopled with buff sweaty basketball players and exhausted-looking parents dragging young daughters who were dragging enormous hockey bags. We've never entered the Canadian world of ice hockey, but its equipment looks more cumbersome and expensive than that required by soccer or swimming.

The other soccer parents greeted me and graciously left me alone. I worked for the entire evening, conquering one problematic scene, and hurtling partway through another, interrupted only when I looked up to see AppleApple coming toward me, holding her soccer ball. "What's happening?" I said. "Is practice over already?"

"Already!"

She'd been running around a gym for an hour and a half, so fair enough. It was hardly already to her. But it was to me. And that's a wonderful thing. Best Christmas present ever!

* list of unfatabulous things: sick CJ (strep throat); oven can't be fixed; therefore, need to buy new stove; therefore, may need to reno kitchen to add range hood; therefore, it's doubtful we'll have a working oven before the new year; therefore, holiday menus need revamping; also, house is a disaster and we're hosting Kevin's family Christmas with everyone arriving tonight; and tomorrow is a PD day

Actually, this doesn't sound so bad, now that I've written it out. I'll run the vacuum, make the beds, scale down the elaborate cooking and baking plans, and use the extra time (not cooking and baking) to write -- which can happen anywhere, beside any child's athletic or musical activity! Because my office is now portable!

Labels: , , , , , ,