I have the house to myself this morning!

DSC_1610.jpg
oh wait, the dogs are here too

I jot down my activities in a very messy calendar every day, including exercise. So in keeping with the seasonal tallying and summing up of things, it occurred to me this morning that it would be fun to add up the kilometres covered over the past year, among other activities.

Last year, despite the concussion and the twisted ankle, I ran 1,009 kilometres.
I walked an additional 80 kilometres during my concussion recovery.
I swam 28 kilometres, not including lake swims. (That's only about 14 visits to the pool, which is peanuts compared to what my swim kid does, but I mostly swam outdoors this summer.)
I went to 34 kettle bell classes, 9 boot camps, and 9 spin classes (we went a bit broke in the winter and spin class fell to the new budget). I did hot yoga 14 times, and practiced at home 18 times (starting this fall, in my home office). Apparently, I meditated a grand total of 4 times.
Now here's the stat that makes me sad. I played 15 outdoor soccer games, and 21 indoor games. That's a lot of soccer! I haven't played a game since the concussion, which according to my records happened on August 18th.

Today, I'm working out of my new 2014 calendar. This year, I've already recorded a kettle bell class, yoga at home, and 16 kilometres' worth of running. I'm desperate to return to that hard-core spin class, but it doesn't seem to fit into my schedule, even if my budget is a little more expansive this winter than last. There's no soccer in my foreseeable future.

I can't believe I have the house to myself this morning. There are mountains of snow outside and the temperature is dropping, but the kids were herded off to school despite the blizzard warnings in effect for our area. I started the morning with a kettle bell class, but Kevin started it with shovelling our sidewalk and driveway, and I'm thinking he may have gotten the more strenuous work-out.

This morning, I'm grateful (not a big enough word, but it will have to do) for power, for heat, for quiet, for routine.

I'm thinking about my word for this coming year.

DSC_1613.jpg

Every word that occurs to me seems to whisper its shadow, its opposite, which I do find sometimes happens with words of the year -- one ends up exploring the dark side of, say, stretch, my word for the past year. At times I cursed the choice, feeling stretched way beyond comfort (twisted ankle, head injury) or stretched too thin. But then I reminded myself to stretch, literally, and that felt good. And I did stretch, grabbing onto goals that once seemed out of reach. I wonder how that's changed me. That's what I've been wondering about most as I think about a new word: how have I changed, and how do I want to change? What do I fear and why? What do I want to give and why? What do I hope to accomplish and why? (The "and why" seems as important as the "what," even if the answer is very simple, like it was with last year's word. In order to keep running long distances, I need to stretch, I reasoned. Seemed practical at the time. Still does, I suppose.)

Let me think on this and get back to you.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,