Imagine your way to success

DSC_2179.jpg
DJ is posing for the camera, which we're all finding hysterical

Somehow, last week's brief thaw fooled me, despite knowing better, into thinking that spring-like conditions were in the offing. I keep stepping outside and registering the cold as a shock -- as a personal affront -- as if it weren't absolutely to be expected at the end of February. The windchill registered at -21C on my run this morning, for heaven's sake! AppleApple has told me that on April 1st, she is wearing a sweater to school no matter how cold it is. I was just glad she didn't set that particular deadline for March 1st.

To further gather my thoughts regarding yesterday's post on fear and unwinding, I would like to observe that there's a fine line between acknowledging and reflecting on one's fears, and becoming mired and stuck in an introspective feedback loop of one's fears. I feel like I'm atop a small hill that I've been climbing for awhile, and this is a good place to pause and acknowledge that it was hard to trust my brain post-concussion. It was hard, and it was scary, but I don't want it to colour my life. I've got other hills to climb.

That's why I played soccer a few weekends ago. That's why I write every day. That's why I meet friends. That's why I want to go out dancing and do kundalini yoga again and get a decent pair of snow pants and maybe some cross country skiis so I can play outside whatever the weather -- take that, February! I'm a huge believer in imagining your way to success. You have to know where you want to go or you'll never get there.

Writing and meditation and reflection are expressions I'm naturally drawn to as an introspective person. It's why I'm a writer, I am sure. But life is lived concretely. It's hands in bread dough. It's running as the sky grows light. It's vacuuming the dog hair (or teaching the five-year-old how to vacuum the dog hair).

Here's what I'm visualizing. And doing.

My big (overarching) goals for the year:
* write the first draft of a new novel
* promote Girl Runner
* create a solid curriculum for my creative writing class

My small (everyday) goals for the year:
* read
* write daily meditations
* run, weight lift, yoga, spin, bike, dance, play soccer
* help and support my family
* give the kids more responsibilities around the house
* bake
* offer and accept invitations to spend time with friends
* play the piano and sing

I could go on. But that's a good start.

DSC_2182.jpg
two Saturdays ago: this was taken after we all pitched in to clean the house together; I hope to blog more about this new plan, if all goes well

A total side note that spoke to the fitness guru in me: I read in yesterday's newspaper that sprinting is more beneficial to the aging body than distance running (the caution being that you need to be a strong runner, and probably a distance runner, before attempting sprints, because non-fit sprinting an excellent way to injure yourself.) No wonder I love soccer so much -- it's basically sprinting, except you get to chase a ball.

I also read that going for a walk has an almost medicinal effect on the mind and body. Why don't we build our cities and communities around that simple concept? Imagine the health benefits. Imagine how we'd all be walking off the edges of our worries. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,