Unwinding

DSC01618.jpg

I went away for the weekend.

I needed to be unwound. That's what it felt like: a slow and steady unwinding of the tightly knotted self. It was almost like I'd forgotten how to have fun. How to partake of fun. How to be fun.

Responsibility requires armour, maybe.

DSC01632.jpg

I skiied on this frozen lake. I hadn't been on cross country skiis since childhood, but it felt like I could have gone forever. It's much easier to glide across the snow than to slog through the snow in running shoes. Winter's long long iteration spoke so differently when I was gliding like a hot knife through butter into the wind. Isn't this a blast, it said.

DSC01631.jpg

Our oven has been fixed, have I mentioned this?

AppleApple baked an apple-cranberry crisp to christen it. The crisp took all evening to prepare, and we devoured the entire pan in fifteen minutes flat. Fooey made brownies a few days later. I've used it to bake potatoes, but that's all so far. I've got to get some veggies roasting while winter's still on.

Oh, yeah, winter's still on. I checked the 7-day weather forecast, and it's going to be cold, cold, and also, cold.

DSC01617.jpg

I've come home thinking: I've got some work to do. I don't mean the laundry or the scheduling or even writing. I mean something different. Maybe I don't even mean work. I mean: I'd like to figure out how to unwind myself. How to be unwound. How to break down my fears.

I don't like to think of myself as fearful, but it's there, so why hide it or hide from it? I'm not afraid of external challenges; I accept many things I cannot change. What I fear is closer to the bone: it is the bone, and the guts, the heart, the spirit. I fear the limits of my mind and imagination, and the limits of a body that ages and changes. And I'm afraid of my fears, closing me off from laughter and lightness of heart.

But I'm not afraid to call them out. And I'm not afraid to chase the light -- or maybe it's enough simply to turn toward it. Throw open the windows and doors. Bask. It might be cold, cold, cold, but the days are getting longer, the sunlight is growing stronger.

AppleApple is obsessed with names. Yesterday, while we were sitting around the supper table, she looked up all of our names in one of her (many) baby name dictionaries: according to this one, Carrie derives from Caroline, which means small and strong. I like that very much.

Labels: , , , , , ,