Music for the spirit

DSC_2279.jpg
my new book (essay anthology): The M Word!

Newsflash: Inbox no longer empty. I guess inboxes are like kitchens. Cleaning them is a process not an end.

A few newsy bits to record today.

I've started a spring yoga challenge: hot yoga every day for the next two weeks. I'm thinking of it as a bridge to get me through to spring. Like, the real spring. Or at least to get me through to London, and maybe when I'm back from London conditions will be favourable once again for running outside. But right now, I'm so tired of running on icy slippery windy snow-flecked streets. I need an exercise practice I can look forward to. (I'll still be running during the next few weeks, of course; I'll just be cursing as I go, which is not so good for the soul.)

DSC_2284.jpg
the dogs say hello

I've been working on the children's book: THE CANDY CONSPIRACY! And I can now announce that the illustrator will be Marion Arbona, whose work you can browse on her website here. I haven't seen her concepts for the story yet, but I'm really looking forward to that. The illustrated imagination. I find people are often fascinated (horrified?) to learn that as the writer I have nothing to do with the cover design for my books, nor will I have anything to do with the illustrations for this children's book, but I actually think it's best that way. I'm not a designer or an illustrator. I write the words. And it's a privilege to get to see my words interpreted by someone else. The words become shared. Maybe their meaning is altered too, to some small degree, but that's the case every time someone reads them, because reading is a collaborative experience.

DSC_2288.jpg
our yard, March 20, 2014: the dirty truth

Today has been a day of pleasant list-crossing-offing.

I went to a mid-morning yoga class, which felt entirely decadent. I got to the university library to gather some research material. I sent off forms for children's summer camps. I met Kevin for lunch! I renewed library books. I'm an efficient relaxed version of myself. Plus it's sunny.

Plus I've started playing the ukulele. It's easy, it's fun, it's relaxing. I'm currently harbouring a small fantasy that we have ukes enough for the whole family to play, and we all sit around strumming and harmonizing together. Note: this has not even come close to happening. But Kevin and I did spend an evening in front of the fire, last weekend, playing 3-chord songs, him on guitar, me on uke. It was not in the least bit romantic, because I'm an impatient and grumpy teacher, and he is still learning rhythm, but he didn't give up, which was very nice of him, and I got to sing, which was very nice for me, and now we want everyone to do it.

DSC_2283.jpg
boy with viola

The thing about making music is that it is both creative and relaxing. The rhythm and repetition take you to a meditative place. You can do it for a long time and not get bored of it. You can do it alone, or with others. You can challenge yourself to learn something new, or you can comfort yourself by playing something familiar. When my kids are feeling down or tired or restless or bored or melancholy, I want them to consider turning to a musical instrument for consolation and for pleasure. I go to the piano like that. I play more often than my family knows.

I often start my day with a song.

I often have no idea what I'm going to play. I just sit down and discover it. It's a creative process that's much like free-writing. Our brains are wired to rhythm; it begins with the heartbeat. As much as I love sports and believe in it as a positive body-healthy outlet for all ages, I believe too in music-making as a way of connecting with our deeper selves, and with others. Music for the spirit!

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,