How to host fun stuff when the house is full of dog hair, and other laments

DSC02006-2.jpg
this morning's run

I've been thinking about readings. Maybe because I read at one last night here in Waterloo, representing Goose Lane Editions, on behalf of their new anthology, in which I'm pleased to have an essay: THE M WORD: CONVERSATIONS ABOUT MOTHERHOOD.

There is a bigger launch party tonight in Toronto for THE M WORD, but while my name is on the poster, I won't be there. This is due to a calendar error. Plans were in place, carshare car rented, chalkboard schedule adjusted, and then, yesterday afternoon, I saw the listed time on the poster -- 6PM. 6PM?! Two hours earlier than I'd thought. Oh no! I emailed the book's editor, Kerry Clare, to double-check. Yes, the launch starts at 6PM (at Ben McNally Books, if you'd like to hear all those other wonderful writers read). So that meant with Kevin at the dentist and me doing swim lessons, I couldn't magical think myself to my destination on time. I'm sending regrets, and they are enormously regretful, because I was planning on hugging a lot of writer friends tonight.

This will have to suffice.

*Hugs*

I don't know about you, but that felt unsatisfactory.

I've been thinking about readings, and how some people just seem to come into themselves more fully when on stage. It's like they're radiant. Like there's no barrier between you and them. You could listen to them all night.

photo-2.jpg
the Canadian ARC for Girl Runner exists! (I haven't held it yet, but it's on its way)

My fall calendar is filling up with readings: I've got invitations to festivals coming across my desk, and a book launch to plan (Sept. 6th is the official pub date for Girl Runner), and I'm so looking forward to the opportunity to speak and read, again. I really do like being on stage -- more accurately, I appreciate it. Even though I felt rusty last night, after a few months off, it's a remarkable place to get to be, standing behind a microphone, talking to people. Walking home along the dark cold streets, I thought myself a most fortunate woman, and most fortunate writer, to get to share what I'm doing in this way.

DSC01998.jpg

In other news, which is not exactly news, I'm a tired woman, a tired soul, right now. I am not sure how to remedy this (although I'm sure my mother would remind me to get more sleep, and if I were my mother I would be saying exactly the same thing).

The house is full of dog hair. Every flat surface is covered in piles of maddeningly random objects. The taxes are due. The laundry pile has stamina. The fridge is full of leftovers that need to be magically transformed into suppers-everyone-will-agree-to-eat. And I kind of feel like for sanity's sake I need another uke night with friends, or a morning coffee get-together, or to invite friends over for dinner, but I can't figure out how to host fun stuff when the house is full of dog hair and every flat surface is covered in piles of maddeningly random objects. You know?

DSC02009-2.jpg
so I get up and go, despite the snow

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,