Favourite moment of the day

DSC_3069.jpg

Pouring my coffee this morning, I thought, this is my favourite moment of the day -- the smell of the warm coffee, the anticipation of sitting down at my computer and tasting the first sip.

But then it occurred to me that my day is full of favourite moments.

Some are ritualistic in their daily repetition, such as the cup of coffee.

Others alight out of the blue, like sitting beside CJ on the stairs well after his bedtime while he tries to remember what worry he was going to ask me about, what worry is keeping him from staying in his bed and falling asleep, his face in profile to mine, fixed in thought, and it feels like I could go on looking at him forever without ever tiring of the sight of him in the late-evening half-light coming through the window. At last he says: "Why do we have to lose our baby teeth and then grow adult teeth? Why aren't we just born with adult teeth?"

This is my favourite moment. And this. And this.

DSC_3070.jpg

Leaping in the air to cheer my daughter who is suddenly rocketing into second place with a pure blast of speed as she comes around the bend at the end of the 800-metre race. Somehow, on the straightaway, her face turns toward mine, from the track to the stands, and it feels like our eyes lock and I can see the fatigue caused by her effort, and I am telling her that she can keep going, she can do it, and she is telling me that she already knows this, wordlessly, and the image becomes fixed in my mind in a way that feels quite permanent.

An email out of the blue from a senior editor at a major Canadian magazine, asking me to consider writing for them -- goosebumps.

DSC_3047.jpg

The light in the early morning as we approach solstice.

The scent of peonies in bloom.

Talking to a loved one, even though they're not having a good day, knowing a loved one feels comfortable talking to me, even though they're not having a good day.

Seeing a 4:10-kilometre split while out-running a thunder storm at soccer practice. Saying to my daughter after we've dashed to the car through driving rain, now I'm going to go for an under 4-minute kilometre. Just one. And she says, you can do it!

And anything seems possible.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,